Dip Bait, Punch bait, etc.

Discussion in 'LOCAL INDIANA TALK' started by Shad Man, Jun 25, 2009.

1. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    I was wanting to try some dip bait for cats and I am relatively new to it. I have used catfish charles with a dip worm with limited success a few years ago. Does anyone have a brand to suggest or a way to make it. I assume its made of ground fish, blood and maybe floor to help it bind. Just looking for a little advice on when to use it and what people like.

2. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Justin,

I've used Catfish Charlies Shad flavored bait at Salamonie a couple years in a row & usually did pretty well with it. This weekend I did pretty good with Sonny's Super Sticky (I think its blood flavor). The best I've used was Danny Kings Punch Bait in blood flavor. You only need a treble hook & when you're done fishing it you need to take it off with pliers! I'n not sure what he puts in there but it doesn't come off the hooK!

3. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin there is several good brands of dip bait on the market and some have already been mentioned. I would suggest you give Team Catfish (sponsor) Secret 7 a try. There is hundred of good reviews posted on this forum about it. I would suggest you use it on a looper or mini fury rig.

4. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Does anyone know where I can get some team catfish Secret 7 around Muncie In? or just order it off line.

5. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    just give team catfish {jeff} a holla, he'll get u hooked up, no pun intened. we got it here locally at my favorate tackle shop, might wanna ask jeff who carries it in ur area. good stuff, make sure u get a few of the fuzzy thangs to go with it.

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    if you get secret 7 the looper rigs or the furry thangs are a must. it works, but is more messy in the boat than punch bait.

7. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    The last time I was at Gander Mt. in Fort Wayne they had quite a bit of Team Catfish stuff...can't remember if they had the dip bait though. Give them a call & ask...260-416-0943

8. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for all the input. I guess I will give Secret 7 a shot. I just thought it may work good now since it feels like we are in the dog days of summer. Plus getting shad in Muncie Indiana is a joke.

9. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Well put the order in last night. Two tubs, a few furry things, and a few other odds and ends. All said a 50 dollar order.

10. kottacat

kottacat New Member

State:
    New Albany indiana
    when you use those furry things-you might wanna try cutting the fibery part down if you get bites but dont hook up. thats what ido and i catch alot more like that. you can also take the actual fiber part off of the treble hook and run it onto a regular J hook or a circle hook. Man-you can do alot of different things with those dip and punch baits. cut plastic worms in half and a hook thru the middle and then dip that,use small tube baits cut in half the same way-get my drift? theres an unlimited amount of ways to use dip and punch bait. and i agree that secret 7 is awesome along with sonnys super sticky. And believe it or not ive had alot of fish using strike kings dip to-even though it doesnt seem like a brand that would know alot about catfish:big_smile:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Justin you do not need to change anything about the fury things. Use a treble hook or just thread the team catfish 5/0 hook down the center of the fury thing into the hook bend, Be sure the tip of the hook is open. Go fishing and catch lots of cats. You can also use smaller hooks according to your hook preference.

12. Fishgeek

Fishgeek Active Member

State:
    Indiana
    Justin, make sure you let us know how it worked...

13. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    you get a chance get the In-Fisherman issue of June/July it has a interview with Jeff from Team Catfish in it it's a eye opener on ways of presenting dip baits.
    Loop

14. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Thanks for all the advice. They said they shipped it out today so hopefully I get it before next Wednesday before I have to go back up to the lake to work. If so I will just have to take it up there and give it a shot in the harbor.

15. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    enjoy it justin,let us know. hey by the way when you going to come up this way n camp on the river bro.? plenty of channels to try that stuff on. :wink:

16. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    As soon as I get a few days off from work and the old lady!!! hahaha She has actually been asking me to take her out catfishing the few weeks but I have been working on the lake and trying to move into my new place.