Dip bait method

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by channelcathunter64, Aug 11, 2007.

1. channelcathunter64

channelcathunter64 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i was fishing with this old timer out on the lake one night and he was using dipbait, but he wasnt using the worms or sponges like in the store, he was threading a large cotton ball on his hook and to my surprise a large amount of bait was held by the cotton ball and even after about 20-30 minutes there was still enough bait on it to attract a cat. have any of yah'll ever done or heard of this

2. Big Cat Hunter

Big Cat Hunter Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Sounds like a pretty good idea. I have added cooking oil to dip bait and made it soupier and then cut up kitchen sponges to soak it up. The oil makes the bait more water proof. This method works well to. It would probably add to the cotton ball idea.

3. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Sure! I never tried it, but it should work. I really like using small chunks of carpet padding - extremely durable!

4. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    I've tried about every thing you could possibly try with limited sucess, yes cotton balls will work probly as good if not better than your average plastic dip worms. But the best for holding a large amount of bait and longer than any other rig I've come up with is my Looper Rig. Is this a plug for my rig NO just stating what I've found to be true. Take it for what it's worth.
    Loop

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :0a27:

I got to go with loop on this one!

"Cotton Ball vs. Plastic" for holding you Dip Bait.
    (Think about it Buddy?):0a14:

I'll go with the Cotton Ball. :wink:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Blake thanks for sharing your idea. I have to agree with the Looper rig. I've tried everything out there and have stopped with this rig. Try it you want be sorry. It's not that expensive and is very durable.:smile2:

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    What kind of hook was he using and how did he thread it. I had this same idea not too long ago but never tried it....The looper rigs do hold the bait pretty well though....

8. jdmert

jdmert New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I like the good ole dip worm in Sonnys!

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    I'd have to also throw my vote for the Looper Rigs.. I used to fish Sonny's almost exclusively for many years. Great bait for action fishing.. Anyways,Between me and me buddies, we tried pretty much all the "dip bait" holders we could buy or make.. Everything from tubes to sponges to shag carpet pieces :tounge_out:.. Looper Rigs by far the best I used. Plus, your not stuck with a treble :wink: like most the rigs you'll find..

I also used to add veggy oil to mine... Bites come alot quicker and more frequent in my experience.. Makes it have a very nice scent slick in the water...Just add enough to make it "slurpy", almost like smooth peanut butter...