Dink's trotline storage

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dinkbuster1, Jun 12, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    now before you go bashing me for being a "river-raper" just let me say i rarely ever keep fish from my trotts. i may put one out 2 or 3 times a year mainly to check out new stretches of river to eliminate dead areas, or do it just for fun. i thought i would post pics of how i keep them stored because everything else i have seen on here and in books/mags looks really sloppy. the bucket is a 2gallon that i picked up at a dollar store for, you guessed it, A BUCK. i then cut out 50 v-notches (50 hooks per trott) with a serated edge kitchen knife for the hooks to be placed in. when the lid is on tight the hooks will not move no matter how hard you drop or shake the bucket, just make sure notches arent cut too deep. when i set it i tie off the end and bait the hooks as i take each hook from a notch and then attach the end to an anchor that has a short rope and a loop where i clip it together. when i retreive the trott i run from the bank first and take off fish/bait as i go, pull up anchor, and place hooks back in notches as i pull myself towards bank. when the line is wet it will lay really neat in the bottom of the buckets and as long as you go in order with the hooks it will come off really smooth as well. the brick in there is just to make it bottom heavy so it wont tip. for larger trotts i guess you could use a 3-5gallon bucket.

Attached Files:

2. bigredsbbq

bigredsbbq New Member

State:
    Illinois
    great idea I'll have to remember this post been wanting to buy a trotline for the sangomon river

3. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    good post mike,why dont you put that in the library bud! you damn river raper. lmao

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Good Ideal.
    But I make a box that is 18" SQ and 3 1/2" deep. Put /4" plywood on the bottom.
    Cut little cuts along the sides with a coping saw.
    I have 12 stacked on a table out of the way.
    Pete

5. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I do simular with a plastic milk crate, I usaully put the tail weight in first then the line when I get to the hooks I hook them a piece of foam noodle I have attached to the side of the crate. When done I stack up the milk crates, not a storage effecient as the short plywood boxes but I have the complete trot-line package in a crate just pickup the crates you want and go. But don't turn it over or you will have a mess no lid on it...

6. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Hey Dink, did the directions come with it, or did you add that??:tounge_out:

7. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    To the library it goes!! LOL Thanks Dink!!

8. KYTRAPPER

KYTRAPPER New Member

State:
    Floyd county,KY
    Good idea, I just do one thing different. I do keep a lot of fish from trots:lol: I like to eat em' to much:embarassed:

9. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Mike, your setup is very simular to a jump box, but is still a great idea.

10. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You "river-raper"! :big_smile: Just kidding. Now how do you store your jugs? That's what I want to get into.

11. Majesticman

Majesticman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If they are noodle jugs put them standing in a milk crate. They hold about 25. I use to keep them in a Rubermaid container but they wouldn't dry and ruin the lines. In KY we are limited to 50 per boat so I keep two crates one Orange and the other yellow. It makes them easy to count when you pick them up.

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i use those "jug-makers" from Maine Wolf Products. just keep the "makers" in a box in the storage area of my boat and attach a 1 or 2litre bottle. no shortage of them along the lakes and rivers to use! if you ever order any get the lightsticks also, those things are awesome! (and cheap)

13. Gabowman

Gabowman Member

State:
    Georgia
    We use practically the same set up with our limblines. Looking down into the buckets you'd think you had a mess but if you remember to take the first one out the way they are supposed to then there's never a problem.