Dink's jack "bars"

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by dinkbuster1, Mar 26, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    below are pics of the "jack-bars" that i made for my short transom/longshaft motor boat. a freind works for a machine building company and "acquired" a peice of extruded aluminum for my project. according to my freind who is an engineer, this stuff is extemely strong and laughed at me when i asked if maybe the motor would snap it off. i have taken the boat out twice now and tried to break it off to no avail (with motor chained to transom just in case). my boat goes twice the speed it previously did! i cut the bar up into 2pcs so that the motor would be raised 5 inches from where it sets now. the pics are pretty self explanatory. the extruded aluminum also has t-slots in it where i also bolted the feet to with a bolt and the "t-nuts".

Attached Files:

2. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That looks great! Dink, It would take a dozer to bend that stuff! Now, where do the rest of us get that kind of material? lol

3. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    shoot Dink I agree with the engineer You'll tear off your transom before You bend those structural bars!!!!

4. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I've seen that extruded aluminum in McMaster Carr catalog and Grainger catalog. Both are industrial supply companies.

5. tmuenster

tmuenster New Member

State:
    South Dakota
    Dink,

Nice setup! I agree with everyone else that it would be difficult to break those pieces. The great thing about your design is it also sets the motor back a few inches from transom. An outboard will perform better when the prop is turning in the less turbulent water away from the transom.

Well done,
    Tom

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    That sure looks good bro.

ST

7. rpcathunter

rpcathunter New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    what size moter is that?

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    its a 25hp johnson longshaft.

9. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Nice set up Dink.
    I here by Dub Theee (Catfishing Engineer). Those who posess skills and talents to make the rest of us Catfisherman lives easier.

I still havent forgot about your baitclicker Mods.
    thanks for sharing

10. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    not sure how well that size of extruded aluminum would hold up to bigger motors, but they make the stuff much larger. i might have my freind look into how much actual stress and torque its rated for. i had to shave a little off of the bottom of the bars (at an angle) because of the "spray" it created when at full throttle. did look cool though, like a huge pecock tail behind the boat. thanks for the compliment larry, its caused by hanging around poor rednecks too long, you oughta see my truck:D

11. Larry

Larry New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Dink,
    you got my curiosity up on your Truck. If you ever have a moment and want to post a few pics. (or PM or send email, what ever is easist) I like seeing ideas that people come up with and modifications that they make
    thanks
    Larry