Ding Dong?

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by bootshowl, Feb 24, 2007.

1. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Where is it common for low voltage transformers to be mounted in older homes? Don't show any voltage for the doorbell, switch loop circut, can't find the supply.
    :crazy:

2. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Mine is in the ding dong part of the door bell. One unit on the wall.
    Bill

3. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    I find them alot in the AC closets. Sometimes in the attic. What are you looking for it for. That might help narrow it down.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Mine is in my breaker switch box.

5. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    They used to be put in attics alot but the code changed and disallows them in attics.
    When I wired houses I always put them in the crawlspace. It was the easiest place to put them being I had a keyless or pull chain light already going on the required metal box for a transformer.

to find it is sometimes hard in older homes especially ones reinsulated or more insulation added.
    Go above the chime set in the attic and look for doorbell wire coming out of the wall and do the same in the crawlspace.

6. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    When you get tired of looking for it, replace the whole system with a battery-powered wireless doorbell. There's no transformer to burn up "somewhere" in the house and you can put the "ding dong" anywhere you want.

We installed one 8 years ago, have replaced the main batteries 2 times and just put a new battery in the push-button switch about 3 months ago. Plus now I can actually hear the doorbell when I'm in the basement.

7. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks fellas. Pulled the cover off the distribution panel, and the old house is on a concrete slab....figured the attic, but wanted to make sure it wasn't common for em to dry wall em in before my 200# went up into the attic....
    :lol:

8. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I have found alot of doorbells wired to the furnace transformer and also a seperate transformer for the doorbell in the furnace.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I had fun locating mine. Finally found it in a basement ceiling light fixture, half way across the house from the doorbell or the door. Go figure!

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Same here. Reasonably priced amd simple.

11. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Boots
    Old houses, like Mark says, usually directly above bell in attic, or directly below in basement or crawlspace, look for those low voltage wires. You are also right I have seen the transformer installed on the outside of the panel box, before drywalling, can’t be see then of course. Luck

12. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Way back when I started wiring there were no cordless drills and the screws used to put up metal boxes were panhead screws with a straight slot.
    The last thing you wanted to have to do was run more of those dern screws in by hand.
    So we would pull cheap doorbell wire all the way across a house to get to a previously mounted metal box like in your basement.:lol:

Times have changed now in several ways. One being that you cant make money wiring houses. You can roll alot of money and live off the roll if your nerves can take it. That leaves the electrician pulling cheap doorbell wire halfway across the house to save a buck 25 and 2 screws on another box.:lol:

I honestly dont see how people make a living wiring houses. I've wired a blue million of them over 22 years and when I got my electrical license I too started out wiring houses until I figured out its a good way to go broke real fast.

Sometimes you can find those transformers in closets above the door where you never look or under a stairway.

13. MattShannon

MattShannon New Member

State:
    WV
    I have a wireless one in my house. Good thing is a 2 yr old can install one. Bad thing is they'll go off by themselves every now and then when they get hit w/something of the same frequency or when the batteries start to go bad. Doesn't happen very often, but when it does in the middle of the night, you'll find your self saying, "Who in the H--- is that?"