Diner update and recipe request

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by Eithne, Jul 8, 2007.

1. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Just wanted you all to know that the Member Cookbook has been updated with your wonderful recipes, and has room for many more! So here's my request:

Since my birthday is next week, I've decided to take a few days off the diet and would like a special treat for when my family comes to visit. I absolutely love ice cream cake and would like to try making one, but don't have a good recipe. I'm looking for something relatively simple and, of course, delicious. Any help is greatly appreciated. :big_smile::wink::cool2:

2. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I recommend Baskin Robbins :big_smile: !!!!

Happy early Birthday Blessings and Wishes to you, Kristine :009: and I hope you enjoy your dinner and family visit :eek:h:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yes, happy early birthday Kris! You shouldn't have to make your OWN cake, so if it needs to be homemade, I nominate JOHN :wink:. Carolyn's right, Baskin Robbins makes some pretty good ones. Don't know if you have a Cold Stone Creamery there, but they have some very interesting and tasty lookin' ice-cream cakes, although I haven't tried one myself. They have been recommended to me by a few folks however.

4. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    I've tried a good many store-made ice cream cakes and my favorite is Carvel, which doesn't exist in this area. I thought it might be fun to try my own. I actually like making things like that though. :smile2:

I went to school with a girl whose mom made cakes as a side business. I helped her make a great ice cream cake for our roommates that had a ritz cracker crust. It sounds weird, but was really good. Unfortunately, they don't let anyone have the recipes and I didn't pay enough attention. :roll_eyes:

Thanks for the early birthday wishes. It's hard to believe I'm getting that much closer to the end of my first quarter century.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't help you with the ice cream cake, but here's a great appetizer; just watch out that you don't end up making a meal of it and then not be able to eat what was fixed for the main meal.

Cholesterol Crackers:
    Bacon, cut into two pieces
    Waverly Wafers or Club Crackers
    Wrap a half slice of bacon around the cracker lengthwise
    Cook, either in the oven at 375 or in the microwave (I prefer microwave) until bacon is cooked to your liking--either just about to get crisp or crispy crunchy.

NOTE: If you get the idea of using newspapers under a paper towel to soak up the grease when microwaving, be sure to exclude and color pictures or ads. The color will actually get hot enough to burn the bacon on the bottom.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Eithne: Whatever your favorite ice cream flavor with whatever cookie crust, topped with whipped cream, fudge and cherries, or other berries.

1 package small chocolate chips cookies, or Oreo cookies, or Oreo chocolate creme filled Oreo's.
    1/4 cup margarine (or Butter) melted.
    1 cup hot fudge topping-nuked.
    2 quarts (Whatever ice cream or Dairy Queen softserve you like).
    1 cup whipped cream or cool whip-or MORE- heh heh.
    12 cherries or any berry according to the ice cream.

Crush half the cookies to make crumbs. Combine crumbs with margarine and press into springform pan or 9" glass pie plate (my favorite). Stand remaining cookies around edges of plate. Spread 3/4 cup nuked fudge frosting over crust. Freeze 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, soften 1 quart of ice cream. After crust has chilled, spread ice cream over fudge layer. Freeze until frozen, prob. 30-40 minutes.

Scoop remaining quart into balls and arrange on frozen layer or just layer softened ice cream between another layer of fudge. Freeze overnight. to serve, garnish with more fudge topping, whipped cream and cherries or what ever berry you decide depending on your ice cream choice. If you decide on a nut ice cream use a nut topping with whipped cream and whatever.

Postbeetle

7. punkin570

punkin570 New Member

State:
    MS
    Kris, Happy Early Birthday......heres a recipe for you to try....its not the traditional square, decorated type cake but it is marvelous and even better the second day. Its called Punch Bowl cake and it is just what it says it is...a layered cake in a punchbowl.

PunchBowl Cake
    2 regular size tubs whipped topping
    1 angel food cake (torn into pieces or cut into cubes)
    2 cups pecans (or walnuts)
    2 pint boxes fresh strawberries ( topped, washed, sliced)
    2 large cans crushed pineapple (undrained)
    2 bags strawberry gel (usually found in fruit/veggie section at store near strawberries)

Use punchbowl....In bottom of bowl place good layer of cake pieces (about a good handful or 2). Add a layer of each: strawberries, pineapple, strawberry gel, whipped creme and pecans....continue layering in same order. The thicker layers are, the less you will repeat this. The thinner the layers of each, the more layers you will have. You should end the process with whipped topping sprinkled with nuts. Cover and refrigerate. Its great for parties and is even better the second day if it lasts that long. No cooking involved and im sure you could add any other type fruit you would like. I make thick layers on mine and usually only repeat the layering process twice.
    Hope you enjoy.

8. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Have any of you ever had a fresh Strawberry cake? My wife makes it and gets absolutely rave reviews. I am sure she could tell me how to do it.... I don't think she uses a recipe.... BTW you must refrigerate it or the strawberry icing all falls off.

9. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    Here is a recipe close to what you want. It uses cookies instead of ritz crackers.
    Title: OREO CRUMBLE CAKE
    Categories: Cakes, Desserts
    Yield: 1 servings

1 Dozen Oreo cookies
    1/4 lb Margarine
    3 Beaten eggs
    3/4 c Nuts (pecans)
    1 c Chocolate chips
    1/2 ga Ice cream (Vanilla)
    2 c Powdered sugar

Crush cookies in a plastic bag and put in a 9 13 inch pan. Melt the
    chocolate chips and margarine and pour some into 3 beaten eggs and cook 1
    or 2 minutes, then pour in the rest of the chocolate mixture. Add powdered
    sugar and nuts and pour over cookie crumbles. Freeze until hard. Soften
    1/2 gallon ice cream and whip. Pour over chocolate and freeze. Get out 15
    minutes before serving to cut.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Simple,eh...this is as easy as it gets.Cook,or better yet,buy some un-iced sheet cakes,whatever flavor you want.Get whatever ice cream you prefer,and icing while your at it.10-12 $ should cover it.

Soften ice cream.While its softening,cut your cakes into whatever shape you want.Personally,I split 1 sheet cake into 2 pcs.widthwise.Then I take the second cake and cut the center out,leaving about 1-2 inches around the edges.Cut the center you removed into strips about 1/2 inch wide.

Place the hollowed out cake on top of one of the split sheet cakes.
    Whip the softened ice cream with a mixer.I like to make a checkerboard pattern with the strips of excess cake in the center(so every slice has a mixture of both cake and ice cream).Fill with ice cream,and top with the other half.Put in freezer and get icing ready.
    Ice it.

Took me longer to type this than it will for you to make it.

You can use any type of ice cream,or combinations,same with cake flovors,and the shape of the cake also,doesn't get much easier than this.

Happy Birthday,I'd send you one but you would have to eat it with a straw :)

11. bakingbits

bakingbits New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just joined so I am kinda late for your birthday, but here is an ice cream cake recipe.

20 oz Oreo's crushed
    1 jar Hershey Hot Fudge Syrup
    1 - 8 oz cool whip
    1/3 cup melted margarine
    1/2 gallon Edy's Ice Cream Soft (any Flavor)

Crush the oreo's reserve 1 cup for the top
    Mix with melted butter pat onto bottom of 9 x 13 pan
    Spread softened Ice cream over the cookies. Freeze
    till firm. Then, spread Hershey's fudge syrup over the top
    Freeze, Spreadcool whip over the top. Sprinkle the reserved cookies over the top or m & m's Freeze. Take out of freezer 10 to 20 minutes before serving.

Enjoy!