Dilly trailer pivot. What for???

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by Dallaskatdaddy, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Dallaskatdaddy

Dallaskatdaddy New Member

State:
    Texas
    I HAVE AN OLD DILLY TRAILER THAT HAS A PIN NEAR THE FRONT, ONE DAY I DECIDE TO PULL IT OUT AND THE WHOLE THING SWUNG UP IN THE AIR AND THE REAR END OF MY BOAT HIT THE GROUND. BAM!!! :eek:oooh:
    AND I SAID TO MYSELF, "HMM.. I WONDER WHAT THATS FOR?" :confused2:
    I'M NEW TO ALL THIS AND THIS IS MY FIRST BOAT SO I DONT HAVE A CLUE WHAT IM DOING. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHAT THE PUPOSE OF THE PIVOTING ACTION IS FOR???
    [​IMG]

2. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I would think that is for shallow loading

3. Brentkeele

Brentkeele New Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Harold is right. I have a 70's model dilly that has that same option. It tilts for launching and loading in less than ideal conditions. Most of the older trailers that I have seen with this option have had the pin replaced with a bolt to eliminate any rattling that may be inherent to this design. Those that own trailers with this option rarely use the tilt feature (at least that is what I have found in my observations).

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I have welded every one of them that I have had, never trusted them!!!

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Dont know about a dilly trailer, but most of the tilt trailers I have seen have a chain looped underneath to keep them from tilting too far (which would keep your boat from hitting the ground. But then again, the more i think about it, most tilt trailers i have seen dont have a pin you pull, they just have a pivot....the boat's weight when pulled all the way onto the trailer keeps them from tilting. Its really nice when you dont have much water and need to winch a boat onto the trailer.

6. Randy

Randy New Member

State:
    Trinity,Texas
    U can use the tilt to unload and load the boat right there in the front yard. It helps to make it lighter like taking off the motor and battery's and such. Then in ponds and swamps with no boat ramp the tilt is a life saver and it helps on the back.