Dillon Spillway Closed NO!!!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BubbaBoyEllis, Jul 27, 2008.

1. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    I went to go get bait at the spillway with my cast net and i looked they had the spillway closed not running and there workin on it looks like ill have to fined new bait

2. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Thanks for the great post, it will save some members the trip of driving there and finding out the way you did. Do you have any idea how long it is to be closed?

3. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Last time I was there I noticed the orange fencing and the road closed sign, but no water.....?

Maybe we ought to call the Army Corps of Engineers.

Anyone know if the Wills Creek Spillway has any Shad running in it?

Looks like bluegill for live and cut, or some carp.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I drove over the Dam yesterday and the water was flowing but you could not get to the Dam without climbing down the hill. Not a big deal unless you have a couple of kids or older folks. When you drive down the hill that road that goes to the Dam is blocked off but the water is still flowing

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I would try the boat slips .... everytime I have been to Dillon I have seen a lot of shad activity aon both sides of the boat ramp. Only thing is you will nee to know how to throw your net out out about 10 to 15 feet ... not like dropping it over the edge of the dam. .... garry-

6. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,

The problem with the ramp shad at Dillon is a lot of times it is full of 1/2 inch to 1" shad that clogs the net and is not great bait. Not always but....

Gary Ryan for you to say that hill is no problem.... I've walked the steps to the other side and that hill is bigger than you think lol! (at least for me)

Throwing a cast net horizontal is easier to me than the vertical spillway Garry.

Will have to do some figuring.... One thing, if it is hard to get to, there ought to be more stacked in there if that is even possible lol!

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I hate those steps also, I should have said for some its no problem LOL I know that I didnt want to try it.

8. BubbaBoyEllis

BubbaBoyEllis New Member

State:
    Zanesville'Ohio
    well i was to lazy to walk them but i kno i got some good shad out of the beach area

9. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Walked them steps onetime with catsgonewild and thought it was the end lol...sb

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I hear ya I know now where I will go to get some gills pretty quick and easy. And I wont be going down 5 miles of stairs and attempting to carry them back up LOL

11. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The Dam on the Cuyahoga River in Brecksville, OH has lots of 19 inch Gizzard Shad below it. I've got them there in the past but better check this out very well for this area is Federal Lands.

If u guys only knew how many weeks I've searched for bait areas in NE Ohio u would never believe.
    Now I can't afford the Gas $$$$$$$ if I were to do it again.

:smile2:

12. fisher11

fisher11 New Member

State:
    ohio
    No cast nets or any type of net allowed in the Cuyahoga Valley National Park. If you want those shad below the dam, you have to catch them on a rod and reel.

13. loanwizard

State:
    Coshocton,
    Is it posted at the park or in the regulations?

Thanks and welcome to the BOC,

Shawn