Dillon Shad?

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrollo, Feb 23, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone been to the spillway lately for any shad? I am hopeing to make a bait run somewhere this week if possible, and would like to save some time traveling around. thanks....rollo

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I don't know about Dillon Jason but I've been catching them all year long down at Rocky Fork Lake in the lake up by the dam. I know you are pretty smart about things so I got a question about shad. When do they spawn. Sunday at the river we caught some about 14 inches long that had egg sacks in them.

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I appreciate the kind words, but will be honest with you... I have only been throw-netting and getting shad for a couple years now. I have always caught all my live-baits for flatheads on rod and reel, and shad hasn't been one I targeted much. Wish I could help you, im sure someone else will be here to help ya on that on bro... goodluck...rollo

4. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Not sure about the spawning times Willie. But I did find this. Hope it helps.

The gizzard shad spawns in spring, May to June, when water temperatures reach the mid-60s to mid-70s. Spawning gizzard shad gather in large schools to broadcast their eggs in water several feet deep, near the shore. The actual spawning is done near the surface. The females participate with several males. An average female gizzard shad produces about 300,000 eggs, but some may expel a half-million, with maximum production by two-year-old fish. After releasing their eggs and milt, the adults return to the water depths. The sticky eggs fall to underwater roots, plant fibers and other debris. There they adhere and hatch in two or three days. Young gizzard shad are a food source for game fish, but grow rapidly, to as much as seven inches their first year. Their use as a forage fish is limited because they quickly grow past the prey size preferences of all but the largest predatory fish. In some fertile waters, gizzard shad become numerous, and extensive winter die-offs are not uncommon. Winter die-offs are associated with temperature stress. Massive mortality of gizzard shad may also follow spawning.

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Hoping to get out to Dillon myself one day this week to net some shad for the freezer for some early channel fishing...

6. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    Hey bobby do you live close to lancaster oh or down south close to the ohio river?I was talking to my fishing buddys bill and his son and we caint wait to go fishing some time with you and whoever you wanna bring I wanna pick your brain lol Mr SHAD daddy butt your right on the Ohio River the shad usually spawn around 65deg or 69deg water temp. thats when we see the big bait balls of 1-2inch shad looking like a black hole on the river

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am gonna try to get out possibly thurs. or fri. bro... give me a shout if your gonna be out one of them days...rollo

8. wild woody

wild woody New Member

State:
    ohio
    Can you get to the dillon spillway now? I know they did some work down there and it was closed. If anyone goes down there let me know if you can fish that area please. Thanks,
    cj

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As far as I know the work was completed last fall, and everything is open now....rollo

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    You can get there now they put in a bunch of smaller rocks and a little pathway for lazy people (me LOL)

11. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    Mike I'm 44 miles north east of Lancaster. Straight up 22.

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Forgot to tell ya, welcome to the site... rollo

13. wild woody

wild woody New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thank you Rollo. Just getting use to navigating this site. I'll get it figured out.

Do you all fish dillon lake or do you just go to the spillway to get shad? I fish a little at the spillway and some at the marina. As a young girl I use to fish the "back waters" of dillon. Not sure if you all are from this area but most that are or that are old enough know where the back waters are. Not fishable anymore at least from shore.
    CJ

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I usually fish the Lake, mainly cause I have my boys with me and its easier. When I have fished the Dam I didnt catch anything LOL but I wasnt using shad (I am still trying to get the castnetting thing down).

15. wild woody

wild woody New Member

State:
    ohio
    Do you shore or boat fish? Shore here. My girls are usually with me (us). They are 8 and 11. How old are your boys?

16. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Same Im shore bound, I have a 10 year old and a 6 year old that right now is acting about 1 :smile2:

17. wild woody

wild woody New Member

State:
    ohio
    My 11 yr old acts 2 a lot. LOL. My 8 yr old can out fish the best of us. Took her to mosquito lake and she caught 2 26 in catfish. We had to hold onto her so she would not fall in.

She is a bass and catfish person. Me, I'll take what ever bites.

18. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio

There's a couple places you can fish the backwaters at. Very nice area to catch some descent sized channels!:wink:

19. wild woody

wild woody New Member

State:
    ohio
    I'll have to drive back there and see what I can find. I am not sure my husband has even been to the back waters area. He is not from down near here so I have been showing him all my spots. In turn he shows me his from his home town. Been awhile since I was back there. Well infact, last time I was when that woman was attacked when she was out there jogging. That was years ago. Not sure anyone remembers that.

20. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gonna hit the spillway tomorrow afternoon for some bait.. I will let ya know if the shad are there or not...:wink: rollo