Dillon Lake Blue Catfish???

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by catfishrollo, Oct 23, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Anyone have any updates on the possible stocking of blues in the lake? rollo

2. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio

3. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Now that surely would be interesting. That would definately be something I would be interested in.

4. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    i agree. hope its true...:cool2:

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    The Ohio Dnr is still going to do it as they said. The way I was told that they were being raised in Kentucky till they are a year old then released into Dillon. Reason for that so they werent just forage for the larger fish and a better chance of making it. But yes I was told sping of 2010. 10 years and we will be catching some Hawgs out of there!

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I guess it's safe to assume that some of those will also make it to the Muskingum. At least below the Y Bridge where the Licking feeds in? And if so, would they stay there, in water that shallow?

7. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    that would be great,specially if they took hold and they started stocking other lakes as well.
    as long as people can tell them and channels apart and put them back in so they can grow up.

8. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    All,
    They are going to be reaised at the Hebron Fish hatchery :big_smile:and then will be stocked in Dillion in the Fall of 2010. If they continue to stock yearly in about 10 years there should be some 50-60 pounders. Then I wont have to travel to Richmond VA to fish for them anymore. :haha:

Catfish Huntr

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    You travel to the James too!!!:smile2::roll_eyes::wink:... Hell, we can carpool to Dillon!:smile2: rollo

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    blues in dillon will be nice forsure! It seems like there is plenty of forage for them in there, I think they will take hold pretty good.....I don't know about the size of Dillon though? I've only fished it a few times on the lake side....I hope it can support a trophy fishery, even if not an occasionaly 40lb fish shoudn't be too uncommon on down the road. I think the channelcat and the bluecat will make an X as the bluecats take hold........either way it will make for good winter fishin......and bluecats are the best eatin cat forsure!

11. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    if they're releasing them after they're a year old.......they should be catchable after the first year. Even in 5 years I would say there would be some 20 lbers caught! Can't wait!!!

12. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    I think they will do ok in dillion due to some of the depth but the big picture is Blues in the Muskingum.. It is not a very deep river so I'm not sure if they will reach there potential but it will sure help populate the ohio and tribs.

On another note, I have to head out Monday to Savanha Ga for the week and I would like to know if anyone has done any Catfishing there? I got on the GA link and it was very limited with info.
    The only bad part is the I have to fly so I can't take the boat so I will be fishing from shore and limited tackle.

Thanks
    Catfish Huntr

13. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    The savanah river runs down there and is a pretty good sized river.....I've never fished it and don't know much about it though. I've heard there are blues in there up near augusta, so I would imagine they're down there too..........If you're up to it Santee Cooper is just up the road from there. I would get ahold of the Roundhill........he's the best guide on Santee and he's good people. He'll put you on some fish, tell some funny tales, and show you firsthand how to santee drift fish......(the only way to drift fish a lake if you ask me)

14. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ya know something just keeps eating at me about this sudden introduction of Blues. I think it has something to do with climate, next thing you know they will be introducing them in Lake Erie! lol :smile2::wink::roll_eyes:

15. Catfish Huntr

Catfish Huntr New Member

State:
    Millersport, Ohio
    Thanks for the info BM. I will try the Savanah and a little ocean fishing also. I fish the Sanatee anytime that I get sent to Shaw AFB, and I agree.. Drift...

CH

16. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    News will come out about it very soon:wink:

17. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I wonder if they're gonna stock annualy until the 2010 class fish are of spawning age? Then again you don't want too many small fish......I'm sure the DNR will do what's best for the fishery.......Blues in the Muskingum sounds good too........but will they interfere with the trophy flathead fishery??

18. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dunno about on the Muskingum, but on Dillon I look for the blues to put a hurting on the channel cat fishing in time. I may be wrong, but if the blues take, the channels will decrease in numbers possibly! Might make for a better trophy fishery though.. Who knows??? rollo

19. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I would agree w/ ya rollo.......as the blues establish themselves they will probably compete for about the same food. If you were able to chart both fish I'm sure the graph would make an X with the channel cat population on a decline. Where's Gary at? I'm sure he can shed some light on the situation...

20. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    How deep is dillon? Is it just made up of the Licking River? or are there any decent sized creeks that feed into it? I remember fishing the backwaters some years back and dragging bottom a bunch, I guess we were off the channel or it was just silted in real bad? I'm gonna go check it out on the satelite image......I really don't know a whole lot about it.