Dillon Dam

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by ryang, Aug 1, 2009.

1. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    OK peeps are they hitten there can I get shad there??? Im thinking of going there tonight about 6-8 ish hopefully.

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    according to jacks post,you have plenty of hot dogs...................

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Gary, I will be at Dillon tomorrow. I will let ya know about the shad not that it will help being your going tonight.. Maybe you can let me know before tomorrow..LOL......rollo

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I was actually able to cast net some shad (over 2 dozen) but they were all small except for one which was a real good size but hey bait is bait. Baited up near where the spillway funnels down and was getting some bites (not great ones but some bites). Pulled my bait out and it looked like they had been cut into i.e. turtles I assume.

Took my bait to the other side of the Dam for a few hours and got no hits at all. So all in all I was able to get 1/2 the equation (getting plenty of bait) I just couldnt get the other half :sad2:

5. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    yeah i have fished the dam side down the mile of steps and never done any good but for a fact on my unckles boat right around there we found a 32 ft hole now if i could just rember where the hell it was
    sounds like my luck never catching anything but bait oh well like you said bait is bait

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Gary it happens alot thats for sure on the no bites but it's picking up pretty good in my area now. Sometimes changing baits can be the answer to. Just so strange one time out the cats want blue gills an next time out they won't touch them.

7. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    With me a bite is as good as catching LOL, I was almost ecstatic when I was able to actually cast net some shad LOL

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good deal on netting the shad Garry...If you keep doing that you will get a big fish soon.

On a side note the turtles right now are horrible, and are constantly pecking at the shad.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Was at Dillon this morning. Two park rangers were at the spillway. They opened the gates 10 minutes before. Shad was not to be found anywhere besides below the headwall eddys. And they were abundant, but not the big shad....rollo

10. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went to Dillon Lake yesterday.I'd rather have a dead rat in my mouth than fish here on the weekend during daylight hours if its a nice day but it was my grandsons last day with me for awhile so you grandads know what I'm talking about-so we went-shad everywhere-not the big ones but this years hatch-about 2-3 inches long.Thats the size I like while drift fishing.We caught seven the first hour,biggest probably 3 pounds-all about the same size,than the pleasure boats hit-along with variable winds.We left-good day for short time.The shad are here and lots of em.Good fishing and be safe.

11. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    so dose this mean your staying with shad, maybe putting a( HOT DOG) or two in ur pocket before you leave the house will save you from a skunking :cool2::smile2::smile2::wink:

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    When possible I use shad (if I can net them) then I go to worms while fishing for gills. I only use hot dogs when I need a snack and some bait:wink: but the moldy ones are the best:crazy:.