Dillon Channel cats

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by s_man, Oct 25, 2008.

1. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I drifted Dillon thursday and friday with Bobbylee. We caught 19 or 20 channel cats. All were taken on cut shad, and 90% were caught in 19ft of water. None deeper than that and just a few in the 17 & 18 ft range.
    4 were over 7 pounds with the largest being a 10lb even bruiser. I can only imagine that the catches will go up once they start congregating in the next few weeks.

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on the catches. Good to hear that someone is doing pretty good. Fishing has sucked down this way!

3. Ben Noll

Ben Noll New Member

State:
    Ohio
    19 or 20 is pretty good for this time of year.I was at Dillion Tuesday and got blown off the lake.I caught 6 channels in about 2 and 1/2 hours with the largest being 5-2.I use a drift sox when it really blows to slow me down but it was still too fast to really enjoy-that coupled with the fact that I was dressed a little light.I headed for some quiet water to Crappie fish and caught two 12 inchers.The channecats do seem to favor some deeper water this time of year,all though we still catch a few in shallower water(7-9 ft).It seems 14 to 18 ft is better at present.We usually do most early fishing in shallow water in the beach area and as the season progresses we move down the lake.Dilllion is an outstanding fishery for channel cats.Crappies are also becoming a popular catch here.Living near Zanesville only 15 minutes from Dillion and only 30 minutes from Buckeye is a good thing.Congrats on a good catch.Good fishing and be safe.

4. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on your catches Skip!! 10 lbs is a great channel!

5. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    went again saturday with Tomh, we caught 10 channels.
    The first part of the day was slow (3 cats) because of higher winds. Around 4pm it died down enough to drift effectively and we caught 7 more. Tom caught the two biggest at 7lb each. My big one was a 5pounder. We caught one little guy a 2 lber, the rest were between 3 and 5 pounds. They are really scrappy on 15lb test and bass gear LOL.

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like some great catfishing. Congrats and keep us posted on future events

7. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Went out sunday with smoothkip25, The wind was just plain confusing. Would switch directions every 10 minutes all day long. Just could not make a decent drift at all. We started at 10am and left after 7pm. We each caught two fish, but at least one of Kip's was a little over 7 pounds (Screw PA). LOL

Thanks Kip for coming out, I am always glad to fish with another BOC brother.

8. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Shoot. If I had a boat, Ohio wold be in the doghouse :cool2:.

9. sliprig5

sliprig5 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thak You this helps. I can't catch catfish very well, but I still love fishin' for 'em.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I didn't know the kiddie pool had a launch ramp.

11. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    No but the pay pond does :tounge_out:.

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    See, I knew they were fishing PAy ponds. Toss out a bucket full of dog food and scoop up the catfish in a big net. Take a photo and BANG PA is back in the lead LOL.

13. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the fishing Skip!

14. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fishing guys.