Dillion Lake dropping water lines

Discussion in 'OHIO LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Desperado, Nov 14, 2005.

1. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I was just out fishing at Dillion Lake with Tony and the lake has been lowered by 6-7 ft. We found the ramp at the marina at the very edge of the water and put in my 16ft. Jon boat. We fished for about 5 hours and upon returning the lake had dropped 8-10 inches past the ramp into mud. :crying: Good thing I have tilt trailer for my jon boat or we would have not got it out. All the ramps are not usable for boats unless you have 4x4 to put in past the ramps about 10-20 ft. in pure mud and sand. I know a few fisherman that were hoping to fish Dillion to get more fish for the fish off. I guess the bank fishing is all that seems to be left at this time. :)

2. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    what is the cause of this?? are they letting it all go through the spillway??

3. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    From the info I got they are drawing it down for winter pool. Yes it is all going out through the spillway. The only reason I can figure they drawed it down so much is because of the flooding last year. This way they will be better prepared for it if it happens again.

4. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    makes sense.........last year was crazy......has there been any action at the spillway lately??

5. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    The spillway is crazy. I seen it and there is no way you could even use a 2 lb. sinker and it hold with the way it is open. Very fast water. :sad:

6. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Dillon is back up 6 feet from the other day. Fished the spillway tonight had alot of bites but no takers. Did catch a bunch of shad though.

7. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Did anyone look at the lake in the last day or two? I'm looking at heading out that way on my next days off. Is the water up to the ramps?

8. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    It's about a foot below normal right now but they got the spillway open pretty good.

9. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    I went to Dillion Lake by myself yesterday and did pretty good out there and got a very nice surprise. I was drifting in about 18-20 ft. of water, with the lake temp at 44 degrees. I seen a hole come up on the fishfinder. Didn't think much about it. The rod went down and the reel clicker was singing. I thought cool got me a nice channel. But to my surprise I never caught one of these drifting and in 44 degree water on a 4" shad....Can you guess what it was......a 24 lb. Flathead catfish. What a fight. I have fished that lake for years and never caught one out of the lake side , only had them caught in the spillway. But I will be hitting a few more lakes before the end of the month. If someone would like to go let me know. I'm off Sun. and Mons.

Clarence

10. Mathersm

Mathersm New Member

State:
    Darbydale, Ohio
    Grats on the catch man.

11. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great catch, can't wait till you post the pics of that one! :D

12. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    There are no pics guys. Did not have the camera with me. But I had a great time. Thanks Mathersm. Maybe we can finally hook up and do some fishing. :)

13. BassMassey

State:
    Oconee
    I've never heard of flats in the resovoir.......but have caught a good many out of the spillway.......I wonder if they are on the rise .......maybe that means there are some on the licking too??

14. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    there have been flats in the licking for as long as I can remember,although I havnt seen anything over 20 lb come out of the licking but several up to 20 in the staddens bridge and claylick area around newark

15. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    That stinks! I bet you were nervous that you had a 24lb channel and couldnt take a picture of it for the fish-off. Congrats.

16. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Your right. I was wonder what I was going to do about a picture. But I guess I could of took it home and made dinner out of it....lol

17. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
    Congrats on the flattie!

18. jholl949

jholl949 New Member

State:
    Mannford. Oklah
    I don't think a 24# flathead would have qualified, Brent. :happ-big:

19. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    My son and I went out to Dillion today and was successful. Had to keep moving around to find them but it was fun. It got a bit cold with the wind blowing on us. There was a few times that the lake was like glass and the drift was at a stand still. I see Doughboy out there, good to see you again, hope you caught some fish. I'm looking at heading out tomorrow to a different lake and if someone wants to tag along I have an open seat! :)

20. doughboy

doughboy New Member

State:
    newcomerstown,ohio
    yep we did all right brought back 4 eaters for myself