Dilemma when channel catfishing on a lake

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by seagreen, Jun 21, 2006.

1. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    I have been catching channels @ this lake in virginia where u have to float for them or u will have a boring day on the water. The thing is I want to be able to hook a few durning the mid-day hours and figured i would have to go deeper to do that. I am looking for rig suggestions to keep the bait an adequate distance from the bottom for me to hookup with a few channels for lunch.

Thanks

2. RamRod

RamRod New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Walking sinker on bottom and a hook 8"-12" above that should take care of your situation.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Try using a slip bobber and setting your bobber stop/rubber band at different depths until you find what depth there at.I like using them because its so easy to change the depth you're fishing at.I just keep changing until I find where there at.

4. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    How about using a 3-way rig with the sinker line being twice as long as the hook line.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    Hey Sea,
    :0a27: with wolfman on this one -that's what I would do.
    :0a23:

Take it easy,
    Bert:cool2: & Shaina:0010:

6. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    if you are drifting you can try a slip cork. that way you can set depth to where u want it. good luck

7. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    Going out tommrow morning going to try a few of the suggestions and see how it goes... thanks all

8. seagreen

seagreen New Member

State:
    virginia
    Went out yesterday morning, tied the hook about 12 inches above the sinker and fishing was great. Thanks for the advice, next time I go out Im gonna tackle slip bobbers (never used them b4). thanks 4 everyones advice

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thats good that you did well.Hope you do good again next time you go out!!! If you ever have any more questions feel free to ask and we'll try our best to help you out!!!