Dikes on the Mississippi

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Shutupandfish, Jul 6, 2009.

1. Shutupandfish

Shutupandfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Maybe someone can offer some experience, i know how to fish the dikes on the missouri, but seem to be having trouble on the mississippi, i have been told to try fishing the upstream side of the dikes and also the downstream scower hole. Which of the two areas have produced for anyone. Just a little frustrated due to the last couple times out.

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    They are both good locations. I used to fish above mostly. Not anymore. One day a windstorm roared in and before I could lift anchor and move, it blew the boat over the dam. Nobody hurt including the boat, but it could have been bad. There was a BOC member with me who was quite large and had only one leg. He had never been on the Mississippi before. It really shook him up when that happened. I never heard from him & he never posted again on the BOC.:sad2:

3. jimmykemper

jimmykemper New Member

State:
    Sturgeon, Misso
    wow , you guys were blessed that you didnt get hurt

4. TheMadCatter

TheMadCatter New Member

State:
    missouri
    are you sure it was just the rough ride kutter?......:wink:

also, perhaps a different tittle for this thread would have been better. "dikes on the mississippi"......sounds like there is something different being talked about in here....lol:smile2:

5. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have you know Grumper has been in my boat on more then one occasion and still invited me out on his boat. I know, one would think he would tire of the same ol stories over & over. I can't help it, I can't remember if I had told them or not. I'm happy if I can at least not tell the same one more than once in the same night.:wink:

6. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I almost always fish below the dike... Heck Im just glad we can finally see a dike..lol good luck out there

7. Beckman

Beckman New Member

State:
    O'Fallon MO

I hear ya Willie...it's about time we are starting to see some damn dikes.:big_smile:

8. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Do you guys usually fish behind the dikes? Just curious. I tried dishing some Sunday night (they were submerged) and couldnt get 16oz of weight to get by bait down, current was rolling over them big time..then on to the next spot.