Digital TV Change Over

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ratkinson, May 21, 2008.

1. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Let me start out by saying that if anyone has already covered some of this I'm sorry I haven't been able to be here as often as I like. If you have anolog tv's as I do and you dont want to go full shot for new ones, you (unless you live under a rock) know you will more likely than not need the converter box. In case you didn't know, there is a Fed program which will send you two, forty dollar coupons per household to buy them. So at your local Wally World you can get them for about $50 - $40= $10. Not bad I thought to myself. I sent away for the coupons.........(easy search on google $40 coupon digital converter) and installed them. Now comes bad news. Evidently all antennas are not created equal. My $49 Phillips/boost could only manage a 32 out of 100 signal strength. All the channels would not come in..... and two/or three would come in some of the time punctuated by glitching and freezing. Digital smigidal !!!!! I thought the point was to have an excellent picture with out having to putz around with the antenna all the time. I did a little research and the antenna in the pic is what I bought. I'm getting 11 Channels crystal clear(only had for to begin with) at about 85-100 out of 100 strength. It kind of looks like something from star trek, but, it did the trick for me. If you have an exterior tour
    antenna you'll probably be ok. If you live withing 36 miles of you digital broadcast tower this model will do (36+ miles = poor)(16-35miles = good)(0-15 miles = excellent) If you live in the sticks you'll probably have to opt with a new outdoor model if you don't have one, which will run you from $50 and up. I must say this antenna has made me a believer. And thank you to Fed for the coupon........ It saved me enough to buy an antenna ($39.95 ish) to make everything work. I put in a booster/splitter so I can just run coax to the other set. So my total cost after shipping was under $80. That's with two digital converter boxxes, a splitter, the antenna, and some old used coax that was run in the basement from the previous owner of the house. I'm just waiting for the codes of the boxxes so I can use my universal remote.........I can't keep track of one remote........let alone two.
    ORDER THOSE COUPONS WHILE THEY LAST

Richard

Attached Files:

2. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    sorry about the terrible spelling...LOL That would be tower & four, not tour and for.

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thanks for the info Richard. I knew I would be needing a converter box, but hadn't investigated into it yet.

I have an exterior rotating antenna that stands about 48 feet, and at present I can still only get around 10 channels. There ARE lots of tall pines surrounding my house and I live in a l'il valley; the biggest broadcast station is 50 miles away.

The other televisions in my house have indoor antennas, but only one of them gets used very much. It's upstairs, and picks up the majority of those same ten channels. :smile2:

So I guess it'll be two converter boxes for me.....

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Richard for sharing the info on the digital change over. I need to get this taken care of. Appreciate the reminder.

5. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    In case anyone doesn't know, people on cable won't have to do a thing.

6. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info,Rich. and as another question,since I aint had time to research it,What about those of us with a satelite dish?

7. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Satellite and cable will not be affected.

8. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

You beat me to it. I work in customer service for my local cable company and Im baraged by calls about this. Hardly anyone pays full attention to the ads on tv about the feb. 2009 conversion and they always miss the first thing he says. This conversion is only going to be affecting people that use antennae or rabbit ears for their signal. Cable subscribers (inside info) will not be affected by the transition until 2012.

9. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    What's happening in 2012??

10. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania

They havent told us yet in the office but my guess would be that the analog simulcast that we provide would be terminated and we'd all need digital converters or digital tv's. My company is already 100% digital and we retransmit the signal in analog as well. When the feb 2009 thing happens, the networks turn their analog signal off and the cable companies & antennae people will only receive the digital feed. in 2012 we'll have to turn our simulcast off in analog. Since its analog thru the cable & not airwaves, it wont interfere with ems & the other groups that need the bandwidth.

11. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY

Scott,
    When they drop the analog signal will the digital signal be stronger? I heard somewhere that this is the case, but, it was friend of a friend type of thing.

Richard

12. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Digital is great. We've had some digital movie channels for several years. But last year we got our first HD TV. 32 inch, I mounted it on the wall in the bedroom. Concealed the cables in the wall, looks sharp and LOVE that HDTV! HD is the best improvement made in TV, other than color. We have a 13 year old 52 inch projection TV in the family room, it still has an excellent picture. But we wish it would bite the dirt so we would have an excuse to get a large LCD HD.

13. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I havent heard if the digital signal strength will increase yet or not.

This is standard digital signal not to be confused with high deffinition which is something entirely different.

14. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I wonder how much our cable bills are gonna jump in 2012? As if were not getting screwed bad enough.....:angry::confused2:

Thanks for all the info, I already have 2 coupons for $40 each off 2 converter boxes and according to the site the antenna we have on the roof will work. Its a decent sized one.:confused2:

I plan on going ahead and getting the converter boxes even though we have cable, we may not be so fortunate one day to have cable internet and cable TV. Hope not but you never know. I just want to be prepared.:wink::big_smile:

15. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Richard when you make contact, on the internet, for the coupon and fill out the application with address etc. Do they give you some type of answer or confermation? I followed the site and submitted and nothing happened.

16. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    If I remember correctly a screan came up after I hit enter and told me my order had been entered. If you didn't get any sort of conformation you may want to try it again. If there is duplicate info they will probably just contact you and let you know that there are only two available per household (the sight may even let you know already registered) . I don't know how customer friendly it would be to try to email a question to them. Your not right at the last minute so they may get right back to you. If it was me I'd probably just try again.

Richard

17. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Scott, on another forum I belong. Some are saying that the signal will be increased, and that the VHF TV stations will relocate the digital signal onto their VHF. If that happens, then the range should be slightly increased.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Good info Richard, I just saw Mickey's question or would have alreadt ordered hers.
    I can't remember getting any conf. from them. I'm getting ready to order a couple debit cards/coupons for the $40 off 2 limit for Regina's Grandma.
    I'll let you know what happens Mickey here in a little bit.
    Have A Great Day Guys!!!:wink::big_smile:

19. ratkinson

ratkinson New Member

State:
    NY
    Thanks John, I ordered ours months ago. Deffinitely get back to us and let us know for sure.

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I just ordered the 2 for her Grandma. All it did was give a confirmation # and said they'd be mailed out, I can't remember???:smile2:
    You can also go to the site and check , all you have to do is type in your last name and address, city State and zip and It'll let you know if they have been mailed out yet and if not it gives times when they will be.

Here is the site I ordered hers and checked the status of mine which I've had for a while.

https://www.dtv2009.gov/

And,,,,,

http://www.ntia.doc.gov/dtvcoupon/index.html