DIGITAL SCALE

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by thunt713, May 19, 2009.

1. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Wheres the best place to buy a 100lb digital scale?

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Buy the 250lb Coffey Scale. You already almost broke the 100lb mark, what happens when you do and your scale bottoms out at 100? We all know the Mighty Mississip' and Mighty MO have em that big and bigger swimmin'.:wink:

Not sure if they are still a sponsor on here but you can find the same scale on some bowhunters warehouse or bowhunters something on ebay even cheaper.

If I get around to it, i'll try to look it up.

3. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    I know Coffey marketing was bought out, but they are still selling bowhunters products. They weren't selling the scales anymore last time I was on their site, but I'm sure you can find them elsewhere. I know Cabelas had them last year, but don't know about know.

4. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    The Coffey digital scales are crap. Glad they're not a sponsor anymore...

I've got a Salter-Brecknell "Electro Samson" digital scale that I *really* like. It's not cheap but I'm certain it'll last longer and work better than the Coffey scale I used to have.

Cabelas is carrying them now but you might find them cheaper elsewhere online. http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0011589014851a&type=product

(BTW - when I catch a blue cat that bottoms out my 100 lb scale, I'll be calling the MDC for an official weight... :wink:)

5. Mo.Hick

Mo.Hick Active Member

State:
    Madison Mo.
    Dont waste your money on any hand held bow scale. They are all crap!. Not accurate at all. I agree with Marty buy a good set of scales.

Tom

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Marty, are these scales waterproof, water resistant? Do they hold up to catfishing conditions and abuse?

7. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Whats inaccurate about the Coffey Scales?????

I have several calibration weights and every time I have weighed them the scale has been accurate to within .1 pounds.:roll_eyes:

8. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    the complaint I heard was they dont weigh the same twice. I havent tried mine to see first hand but that is what I was told

9. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Bob dont you use your coffey scale to weight in fish at the weldon spring's tourney's?

10. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Ditto that. Everytime Ive checked mine, it's been with 1/10 of pound, which is close enough for me.:wink:

11. wishiwasfishing

wishiwasfishing Member

State:
    missouri
    Name:
    Capt. Jason
    the moultrie scale is deff a good scale and they onley cost about $70 bucks. i would look into them for sure. my buddy made a handle that is about 3-4 foot long that the scale hooks to and then we can bolth pick up the fish.

12. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    Water resistant maybe, certainly not water proof.

I keep them in a dry box in my boat, only take them out when I need them. And I expect they'll last quite a few years unless I do something stupid. If you are going to spend $100 on a set of scales, it makes sense to take care of them.

Salter-Brecknell is a well-known manufacturer of scales for commercial use, so I have no doubt about the quality of these scales.

13. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have heard of some folks not liking the Coffey scale because it was not waterproof, but this is the first time I have heard anybody say anything else bad about them. I keep mine closed up in a waterproof box and have never had a problem with them. Hook had to be sharpened a bit, but that is my only complaint. I don't expect anything remotely as accurate as any calibrated scale, but if I am close enough in weight that it could be a record or something, I'd be calling MDC also.

14. thunt713

thunt713 New Member

State:
    winfield m
    Thanks everyone for all the useful information.