Digital Camera?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by blackwaterkatz, Jan 30, 2007.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    My Sony digital quit working last week. I've had it for about 4 years, and it's obsolete by todays standards. I'd like to get another one, 6-7 megapixels should do fine, compact enough to stick in a shirt or jacket pocket, prefer macro and 3-4x digital zoom, with flash. Don't want to spend a lot of money, either, for something that I may drop overboard. I don't take a ton of pics, but I like to keep a camera in my truck or boat.

I would like to hear what some of you use? My pc has a card reader, as does the printer, so it doesn't matter too much whether it has an SD, or memory stick, but I don't care to use a usb cable for downloading.

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    The one I use is an HP photosmart M425. It's pretty cheap, and takes fairly decent pictures for the $. I think it cost $135. It may be cheaper by now, I don't know. It's a 5 megapixel it has 3x optical zoom, and 6x digital zoom. I like it because it works nicely with my HP photosmart printer/copier/scanner/photodock. It may not have the resolution you are looking for, but it's affordable and effective. Here's a sample pic.

Attached Files:

3. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I got a Samsung Digimax S500, over the summer and love it. It's came down in price 40 bucks since then at WWorld. Research it on the web and see what you think. It's very reasonable. The black one is the one I have, but there is a slightly different version that is silver.

Hope that helps.
    Take care.
    Cheryl

P.S. I have 2 HP's. The best one was the cheapest one. I'm happy right now with my Samsung.

4. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
  5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I bought one of those V-Cams that does 7 minutes of video and takes a gob of pictures on its own but if you add a 2 gig SD card it easily triples that. I dont reccomend the 2 GIG though cause it freezes up. Go with a 1 GIG on these for better performance. JMO
    The whole set-up is around 100.00 and does the job great! HTH

Attached Files:

6. catfisher43

catfisher43 New Member

State:
    missouri
    I just bought my 1st digital camera a few months ago.Its a Kodak Easy Share C433,3x zoom,4.0 mp.100.00 at walmart.Ive been pretty happy with it.Hope this helps.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I don't know what Sony you have but my Sony F-717 stop working last year. It was out of warranty and had major problems. By luck I checked on the Sony site and they were fixing that model for free.. including postage both ways.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    A 5 megapixel camera will take extremly good pictures even blown up to 8x10. Higher megapixels get better resolution, but its not noticeable in snapshots or enlargements for the most part until you get to the big ones. Pentax makes the Optio, its a great digital that's water proof. Think Olympus makes a good water proof camera. If you are taking out around water, you may want to look into those. Then, take a piece of pool noodle or a plastic float and attach it to the camera with a lead.

9. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I saw mine listed there too (a DSCP51). A class-action lawsuit, something about the CCD being defective. Mine is only 2.0 MP, so I'm not even going to waste time with a repair.

Keep the tips coming, folks, I'm reading them all. I looked at some today when I went by Walmart, some of them were nice, but had no viewfinder, which is one of my needs. Those lcd screens wash out bad when you're out in bright sunlight, and they're hard to see at night, too, at least the few that I've had any experience with.

I'm not in a big hurry, but I saw several different 5-6MP models in the $100 - $140 range. I'm gonna check on those waterproof models, too

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I caryy my first digital camera, made by Concord, it is 6 megapixels. We also have a cannon 8.1 mega pixal and got the case for water proofing the camera. Got lucky with the cannon and got it for 145 bucks, stores mistake. When we got home an realized ther mistake I took it back to the store and spoke to the manager, not only did he tell us to keep the more expensive camera he gave us a camera bag for free. But the Concord whole a little slow to take the pic does take a good picture.

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Tommy, my wife has this Sony T9, it's very small shirt pocket size with 6 megapixels but has a large 2.5 inch LCD. I don't have to put my glasses on to see it. :big_smile:
    But it may be more than you wish to spend.

Yes, it was the CCD on my 717 that went bad and it was from a class-action suit against Sony. The 717 is a great camera but it has a small LCD that I have never liked.

12. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    I bought a Nikon coolpix L2 this christmas. It is a slim line and will fit in your pocket easily. 6mg. 3X with 2.0 screen.
    I got it at wally world on sale for I believe just under 200.00
    Did get a bigger card that will take a 28 min. video. This is the 1st digital I've owned but have been happy with it so far, if I can ever figure out all the stuff it will do....:roll_eyes:

13. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    I recently picked up a Canon PowerShot S2 IS, 5 mp, 12x optical zoom, usual bells & whistles for $279. A little pricey for a boat camera but I really like the range on the lens--macro to 12x.:wink:

14. catman529

catman529 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    My camera is a Nikon Coolpix L3 5 megapixel camera with 3x zoom. It is perfect for your pocket and I won't go fishing without it. it is not the cheapest camera though. When you go fishing, try sealing it in 1 or 2 ziplock bags in case it gets wet. If you seal air in the bags as well it will float if it goes overboard.