Digital Camera - best low cost fishing camera?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Chris, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Right now I am in the market of buying my first digital camera. I dont want to pay anything over 150.00. I would also like to take some photographs at night espically when fishing. I saw some Kodaks at walmart and seen the reviews were pretty good on them, but what do you think?

Thanks
    chris

2. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The Kodaks are good, so are the olympus that walmart has.

4. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've got a canon power shot. Had it for I think 3 years. So for not a problem and it takes good pic's. Depending on mode I set it on, I have printed out clear 8x10 pic. I do wish I had more of a zoom lens. I could order a zoom lens for it but haven't yet. When I got mine, they cost more. I think D. Cameras or getting better and cheaper in price these days.
    What I dont like is some has so many features on them, they can be confusing to operate and more likely to have trouble out of em. Thats just me. I like simple. LOL.
    I would get on line with different stores, read the reviews. Then I would look at how easy it is to use. Quality of pic's when printing.
    This year I had friends who got one for Christmas. All brands mention here. Some are very cheap in price but still seem to take good pic'.s Seems all has the movie mode on them . Lets them take a 3 second video. I didn't care much for that part but I guess it might come in handy for them. BTW, I got a 64m memory card for my camera. I have 3 modes I can take pics with.
    Depending on mode, I can get up to bout 300 pics on my camera. My Son says he gets more on his and he has same camera as I do. I usually take bout 50 to 100 before clearing card.

5. Cheryl

Cheryl Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I have to HP digitals. The first one is in the price range you mention. It may be cheaper now. It doesn't have the card. I have one that is a later version and much more costly that I hate. It will do in a pinch, but not near as good as the first one.

I guess it is your preference as to what you want to do with it. They also have the new disposable digitals out. Haven't tried them or heard comments but you might want to pick one up.

I still prefer my 35mm Fuji over both of my digitals. It's probably just my personal preference on that.

Even though I can use the digitals to send pics via email, etc quicker than the 35mm. You can have the 35mm's put on a disc or a site when you have them developed.

I have also found that it is more cost efficient to have Wally world print your digitals than to do it at home. The ink cartridges are so high for the printer I have that I can't beat the 15 cent charge at wally world.

Just food for thought.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I use the kodak easy share 6230 from wally world and really like it.
    User friendly and has zoom and 2.0 mega pixels.
    It takes some real good photos for the price. They are in that price range.

7. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    Look at the optical zoom I bought a camera that only had digital zoom and the picture got blocky when I zoom in.

8. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Chris I got a Minolta Dimage Z10 for 150 off of EBay but I believe you can get them Cheaper now it is 3.2 MP with 8x optical zoom

9. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I have seen some great digital cameras! Thanks for all the help everyone but I have one more question. What size megapixel, I am thinking about going with a 5, I just want some other opionions

chris

10. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
  11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I think it depends on what you use the camera for! If you are mostly posting pictures on web sites or sending emails a 2mp camera or even smaller is fine and you arn't out of much if it falls in the water! If you are printing your photos 8x10 or selling them to a magazine then 5 to 8mp is needed, but you may have to work with the photo to post it on this board. I have a 4mp camera and have a card for pictures I post at 1mp and another card for high resolution (4mp) pics I want to print. Thats my take on it, anyway!
    Oh yeah, I got mine on e-bay too!

12. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    Chris here is a couple of pics that Ive taken with it.
    WOW.jpg

donthurtme1.jpg

gimmikiss1.jpg

Edited to say that on the first one you can see the line from the other fisherman fairly well along with the fish LOL. The resolution is good quatlity my wife uses it to take pics for some people Grad pics and personal photos and she gets paid for it.

13. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Really good info guys.
    I have two, the one I take fishin' is a Oregon Scientific 2.0m 3 1/2" long x 2 1/2" tall x 3/4" wide. Fits in your pocket real nice, takes great night time photos and it holds about 65 pics. on the mem. card. Has a timer so you can take a pic of you and your catch, if your alone. Price $92.00
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1951&d=1131853345
    http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3945&d=1137388523

My other one is a Olympus c-3000 Camedia 3.3m very sweet camera. Can do lots of different types of photos. small movie mode and so on and so on. It weighs more and is bigger. New around $700.00 / E-Bay where I got this one at, $ 75.00

14. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    I have a Kodak Easy Share CX4230 that I am very happy with. It cost $149.99 at Walmart. Simple to use, 2.0 megapixel which is plenty. 3X optical zoom. and will take clear pictures as close as a few inches away if you need to. If you need a zoom, make sure it's optical zoom. Digital zoom just enlarges the picture.

Be sure to pick up some rechargable batteries. You can get 4 batteries and a charger at Walmart for about $10.00.