digging a pond

Discussion in 'Pond Fishing' started by head hunter, Nov 11, 2009.

1. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    anyone ever digg their own pond ??? I would like to put a small bait pond (1/2 acre )in my back forty but not to sure how much or how deep of clay has to be there to keep from leaking,,:confused2::confused2::confused2: any advice ?? want to make it at least 12 to 15 ft deep on 1 end.

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    you can find all the info you need by googling"building a half acre fish pond".

3. Jollymon

Jollymon Well-Known Member

State:
    Wilm .N.C
    Randy you might want to contact some local contractors an sell them the dirt out of your pond ,that way i will not cost you to dig it . just a thought

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    Well I don't know how farmers out in Ohio build their water reuse pits but that would be a good size to start,If I were making it for a bait pond I wouldn't go 15 foot deep,a shallower pond like 4 foot deep would suffice in the summer and right before freeze up you could fill it to 6 to 8 foot deep,to deep you'll never get the bait back out of it,get a dealers license and sell your extras to local baitshops. dig the hole and liner it is easier than packing clay. depends on what you want out of it I suppose,I'd design it like a fish farm pond myself.

5. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    call the conservancy or local soil company and have tests done to make sure you have the right soil for a pond. Some places dont have the right soil content to hold water. I had that problem at my house so i had to lay a pond liner and it was expensive

6. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    thats a monster bait pond, i like your style:big_smile:. what are you planning on putting in it?

7. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have a catfish pond. It's about 3/4 of an acre in size. It's not over 5 feet deep. It was stocked with channel cats. It was also stocked with minnows to provide food for the channel cats.

If you're soil is true clay, it will hold extremely well. If you dig beyond the clay, chances are it will leak.

I put about a 100 goldfish in it a few years back. That was a mistake. The catfish eat the goldfish, but they can't eat them before they can reproduce. It makes for a good scenario except for in the summer. When it gets hot, the oxygen level goes down and I have to add fresh water into it to create more oxygen. It's all because there's too many fish.

If you're doing a bait pond, it needs to be much smaller, and much shallower.... You'll never get them out.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Like said before contact the local SCS agent. Man 1/2 acre thats a huge bait pond. On selling the refuse ,You may want to contact a contractor first,The refuse here is mostly what they use to build the dam ,unless you have a low lying area that will naturally hold water,You WILL need a dam for your pond. The bigger the better as far as dams go.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  9. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Grandpa always said when he built his pond he fenced it in and let pigs slop in there for a month. Stayed sealed that way till trees died near it and roots withered away. Dont let any trees grow on your dam.:wink:

10. head hunter

head hunter New Member

State:
    ohio
    anything a flattie will eat,,(and no not the cat next door,lol ) crappie ,,,gills,,bullheads,,, lots of green sunfish,, might try some skippies if i can get enough of them back here. i'm sure all the kids in the area will help me catch bait when needed.

11. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    Greenies are prolific spawners, you get some adults in there shortly after its filled and you will be up to your waist in flathead gold:big_smile:. Same thing will bullheads, put rock piles and clumps of twigs. If you really want to maximize the green and gills spawn pick the shallowest end of the pond and lay pea gravel for them to make beds. good luck

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    dont plan on skipjack.... you wont keep them alive long enough to get them to the truck... and they wont live in a pond...

13. crazlegs

crazlegs New Member

State:
    HamiltonOH
    need someone with equipment to dig it i know a guy i can give you his number if you live around butler county