Difficulties in adding a charging system?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by etexun, Sep 6, 2009.

1. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    I have a 1985 Johnson 55HP (commercial rated) motor. When I got it I found out it didn't have a starter. It had the right flywheel so that was not too big of a job to add. I had that installed on it and it cranks right up. But, and this is a big one, it doesn't have a charging system. How difficult will it be to add that? It would be nice not to have to charge the batteries every time I take it out. If it is possible< is it something I can do?
    Also, the water pump is working on this motor. It was set up for I don't know how long before I found it on a pallet in a man's warehouse in Houston. When I got it running it pumps water out the pee hole but after having it in the water a few times I have noticed that when I idle it for a couple minutes like when we are checking jugs the water it pumps out starts steaming. I immediately rev it up a little and it will start cooling down. Does this indicate I should change the water pump out? Also the other motors I have had in the past would push water out the little vents along the top and back of the shaft. This one only put the water out the little pee hope. Why?
    I am just trying to understand the quirks of the motor better. Thanks for any help.

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if its been setting a long time it needs a new impeller that rubber rots and if it flies apart your motor is going to be full and may plug up the water jacket and im sure you can put the charging system back on there

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    As suggested replace that impeller asap. Also pull the Tstat and make sure its not clogged up. If it has been in salt water you will need to flush it good with salt away. As for the charging system it comes from under the fly wheel should be yellow wires and goes to the recetfier. I'll post the colors coming from the recetfier to other places. I know one of them will be gray and that is your tach wire.

4. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    If it was me that motor wouldn't go back in the water till the water pump impeller has been replaced and the water jacket flushed out. If it's getting hot enough to steam you are not moving nearly enough water to keep the motor coolo enough,which can lead to serious damage,I replace my impeller every three years,they get dried out,and worn out. I run a 85 and a 115 johnson,and a 4 hp johnson they will run forever with proper maintainence, done on a regular schedule. I replace one impeller every year and rotate through my motors and give each a complete going thru. Mistreated they will be your biggest headache and costly to keep repaired. I'm thinking your motor should already have a charging system on it,but it maybe disconnected somewhere,or a fried wire?

5. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Going today to get a new water pump for it. I will ask if they have any Salt away flush. Could the tstat need replacing too? I am not even sure where it is. But if it needs it I will replace it too if possible.

6. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    At least pull the Tstat and clean it and check to see if it opens in a pot of hot water. It should be located on top right over the head and most likely is triangle shaped.

7. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Bubba, I may have found the problem with the small flow of water. I just was not satisfied with the amount of water the motor was pumping. After a lot of straining with salt encrusted bolts and breaking (2) in the process I finally got down to the water pump. The pictures tell the story. The water pump had come apart. Everything else seems fine. So now I just have to put it all back together and deal with the broken bolts.
    Ok, We managed to get one of the bolts out. But the other one proved to be more difficult. The salt was everywhere. I sure feel sorry for anyone that does not do proper maintenance to their motors if they run in salt water much.
    I am waiting to hear from a friend that is a machinist to see if he can get the bolt out for me. I tried to drill it and use an Easy Out to remove it and that broke off inside the broken bolt. When it rains it pours. :sad2: A neighbor said I might be able to just put it back together and be short that one bolt. But Since I already have it torn down this far I would rather get it fixed right. After I get this fixed and all put together I am betting that water heating to steam at idle with no longer happen. Thanks for all the help. I really do appreciate it.

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Here are a couple pictures of what I found when I opened up the pump housing.

Attached Files:

9. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Save those pieces and that picture and after you get it to cooling good take it to the mechanic wanna be that told you that was natural for one to do that and tell him to go back to school or quit lying.

Now after you get that pump repaired get some salt away and flush that block good and find the T-Stat and clean it out. Salt is hard on one if not flushed after every use. Salt water ain't as much the enemy as the air to salt cover motors. Fresh water will do wonders. Keep me posted and when removing bolts heat and lots of PB blaster.

10. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Thanks Bubba, I really do appreciate all advice I get from you and the other members. That was the main reason I joined the site. Then after being here a while found out a lot of other interesting ideas. Some of the members here have a lot more $$$ than I do to play with.
    I have to order that salt flush stuff. The same guy that said the steaming was normal said he had never heard of it. But I talked to another boat mechanic and he said he would have to order it. They did not get much call for it up here. Also the bolts that I broke looked like they had been dipped in Lock-Tight. I thought it was just crusted salt. My buddy the retired machinist said it was lock-tite. I coated them with some never seize. For the next time I change out the pump.

11. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Now what is left for me to figure out is the Charging system. I was told this motor didn't have one. I have been told wrong things before, is this right???
    The model number is #R55RWLR. It is a 1985 Johnson 55hp.
    I will try to post some pictures of the motor today. Maybe they will show what is on it better.

12. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    All motors came with a charging system. Its just a mater of tapping into it. I'll take that model number and see if we can help you tap into it. Good ideal on the antiseize

13. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Bubba,
    Have you found anything out if this motor came with a charging system.

14. Trapper-steve

Trapper-steve Well-Known Member

State:
    Bicknell, IN
    I think Bubba had eye surgery.
    So it might be a day or two till he gets back to you.

15. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Thanks, I hope his surgery goes well.