Difficult shopping

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by Colsrob, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It may sound unreasonable to even say it's difficult to shop, but trying to stay withing certain specs is making it harder than I thought.

At this time of year the job I have pays very well. I will make most of my yearly income in the next 3 months. Being so, I always go into a bit of a shopping spree while the gettin' is good.:big_smile:

Last year I bought a new GPS(for truck, not boat :)), a new LCD HDTV, several new guns to replace some that were stolen, and a few other lesser items.

This year my target object is getting a new(to me at least) boat that I can fish the shallows of the Scioto with. The problem is though, I have specific wants and it's making the search much harder. At some point i'm probably going to have to make some concessions, although I hate to do that.:wink:

I have found a few that are very interesting to me, but the ones I really like are much more costly than I wanted. I was hoping to stay in the $1000-$1500 range, but my favorites seem to be going in the $1800-$2500 range.

It appears that I am looking to get what is considered a crappie fishing boat. I like the open middle and storage that they have, as compared to the traditional 3 bench seat, in a 12-14ft aluminum V. I think I really want it to have a motor. My first choice would be a 9.9, but would survive it was bigger, or a little bit smaller. I also wish that it has a trolling motor, bow or tiller is fine by me. The last on my wish list is, that it isn't 40 years old. Something from the 80's or 90's would be perfect, as long as it's in decent shape. Oh, and a trailer is a must.

After getting this boat taken care of, I have been seriously considering selling my current boat and replacing it with something more in line with the style of fishing that I have decided to stick with. That's a topic for another day, though.

I'm not making this thread as a request for help in my search, although I wouldn't ignore any. I was just bored, the site has been slow, Rollo:tounge_out: has been making thousands of threads, and I figured I would tell about my search.:smile2:

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Craigslist is the ticket. You can find some amazing deals on there, especially if you are willing to check the surrounding areas and drive a bit to pick it up.

3. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    Rollo:tounge_out: has been making thousands of threads,:crazy::smile2::smile2::smile2:

4. Capt.Kirk

Capt.Kirk New Member

State:
    Indiana
    e.mail me an address and i will send you pictures of what you want,
    1981 Tracker 3 with 3 trolling motors 565 depth finder complete new
    interior new tires has areated 40 gal live well,every thing works.
    Has No Motor,close to your price range,would have to pay cash
    and pick up.If you buy it i will give $25.00 Gas money,18 miles s.e
    of richmond in.Capt . Kirk

5. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I couldn't resist.:smile2:

6. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You are right about that. I have been all over Craigslist. Not only for Columbus, but about every majory city that is near water and withing a reasonable driving distance to me.

What I decided was, that it would have to be an incredible deal for me drive real far. Anything that would be perfect to my wishes would end up costing more if I have to travel much. A hundred here and there can make a big difference between a good deal and a great deal.

I have found more than a couple that have peeked my interest, but most of them are not exactly what I had hoped for. They would involve a fairly major re-design, thus adding to the overall cost. I'm trying to find that happy medium that is the best of both worlds.

Besides Craigslist, I have also spend a bit of time on iboats and boattrader. Sooner or later I will find something good enough to make me purchase. I was just a bit surprised how difficult it has been appearing to be so far.

7. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It can be a real pain to find what you want used. I know when I was looking I could never find what I was looking for, for a reasonable price. Don't get me wrong every time one of those SeaArk catboats with the 100 gallon live wells and a 250 HP motor. Then I see the price and that is closer to the cost of my house than a boat. :eek:oooh: