different way of preparing cut bait

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by massa_jorge, Apr 27, 2008.

1. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    went on a bait run and the only place i could go was a spot i normally catch small livebait carp, about 7-9 inches long. i usually fish here for a half hour and i could fill a stock tank with them. anyway i decided to cut the little ones up, even though i only get three pieces per side. i left the scales on, and marinated it in garlic and country crock butter overnight, then put it in the freezer. i will post results when i use it. the only thing is, with the scales on, i will go through the skin and out the meat, so a scale don't stop a hook point. i usually go through the meat, then the skin.

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sounds like you can eat it.......if you get hungry...lol...Let us know.....

3. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    the butter seems to work better than the cooking oil i would normally use.

4. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i tried the cut bait plain and marinated. marinated caught channel cats, plain caught blues and channels. i tried it with the hook going in from the meat side and from the skin side, and as long as i checked the hook before casting, never had a scale stop a hookset. i have caught about 20 or so cats on it so far, only to 4 pounds. the bigger carp seem to be better bait, because they have more red meat on them. i try to separate the pieces along the lateral line, so every piece of bait has some red exposed. the cats seem to home in on this quicker. i think i am going to continue scaling the carp before i fillet them, as it makes it easier to fillet them when you are not fighting scales.
    so what i have come down to is if you're after just channels, the marinated is the way to go, and if it's blues, plain is the way to go. and the little carp don't seem to have the cat drawing scent that the bigger ones (5 pounds plus) do. also fresh garlic is the best marinade, rather than the powder or granulated. i will keep on using the small ones for livebait and the larger ones for cutbait.
    hope this info can help someone hang some cats!

5. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i really wanna catch a big cat and i think that carp will be the ticket

im going out on the boat tomorrow and im goin to throw out some sugarvanillacorn that sat in the sun for a day ( maby some bread ) too

6. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    good luck on your trip, leroy!

7. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona
    going to go watch the people load their boats up at site 6 tonight and im gona throw out a load of corn and try to get one

anchovies works well to but im hoping bigger cats like fresh cut carp :wink:

8. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    well how'd ya do????

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

i took my pole and everything and when we got down there, there were 10 trillian boats out there and i found a spot for chumming........throw out some chum...walked over to the ramp.... came back 30min later got my pole walked to the dock.....there was a fight and 9 ( i counted ) cops there on the f@#$% fishing dock ( the narrow part that leads to the fishing pier ) people were suck there because they wouldnt let people come or go

i got mad and told my dad and we walked over and watched for about 10-15 min and everything got real boring..... we went home and worked on the boat......

we took the boat out today and it ran like crap... we went out for 45 min and didnt wanna get stuck on the river so we headed back ... after we got home and removed the fuel filters out we ( hopefully ) found the problem ( 1/2 " thick sludge )

maby next week but i doooooo wana try the carp thing

i got another thing up my sleeve