Different types of carp?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Old Bill, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    I've seen hundreds of carp in lakes and around Marina's where they were fed food pellets.

What I'm wondering is whether or not those carp are considered to be "Grass Carp"?

I need some grass carp to add to my 1-acre pond to help clean out the moss, etc.

I can buy some small baby grass carp ( 4 to 6-inches)from a fish place. They have two different types. Diploid (can breed) and Triploid (sterile). The Triploid cost twice as much as the Diploid.

I'm just wondering if the carp in my local lake are the same as the Diploid being sold? If so, i might just try and catch some larger carp to put into my pond.

What do you guys think?

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know that in the state of Kentucky, it is illegal to remove Grass Carp from the waters they were caught and all Grass Carp must be returned immediatly back into the water. If it is legal in your state to keep a few.....then I would take a few and put them in my pond for sure.:wink:

3. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Hummmm! Thanks John, I'll have to check yo see what OK regulations say about grass carp!

4. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    There are a few ponds in my area that post signs saying it is illegal to remove the grass carp.So like John said above,definitely check your states DNR rules first.

5. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks Chris! I read Oklahoma fishing regulations Saturday until I was almost blind! I couldn't find anything about Carp except three photos showing the three type of Carp in Oklahoma.

I've just about decided to not attempt to catch any Carp and just buy some from a fish farm. With my luck I could fish for months and not catch a single Carp...unless I was fishing for catfish!:wink:

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Bill, here is a link to the Oklahoma Department of Wildlife. Ask your question via e-mail. Works very good and very quick.

info@odwc.state.ok.us

7. Bossofbeefbowl

Bossofbeefbowl New Member

State:
    Hanover Park,IL
    You really can't go wrong with buying them.Personally I'd recommend the kind that can't breed unless your pond has natural predators for carp.My only guess at the size you're buying the only predators would be other fish or large birds such as egrets or herons.I've actually seen 1-2 lb carp taken by blue herons in my local pond.I'm pretty sure it's the same one though that always feeds there.Just throwin it out there though so you're aware.I guess it depends more on how shallow your pond is though and where you're at.

8. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Thanks AwShucks, I'll give them a try!

I've always got lots of questions!:roll_eyes:

9. Old Bill

Old Bill New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, this morning I took the easy way and bought six grass carp to put into my pond! They ranged in size from 6-inches to 12-inches. They were supposed to be in the 8" to 10" size so I guess it averaged out OK.

Now I'll have to assign my wife her duty hours...to keep the damn Egrets away! I'd like to give her my shotgun to use...but, I'm afraid she might accidentally(?) shoot me!