Different things used for channel catfish bait

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by readingcatfisher, Jan 7, 2010.

1. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    Has anyone ever used imitation crab meat for channel cats?

2. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

No,I aint too creative with channel baits.I either use chicken liver or cut bait.Everyone always says try shrimp,I tried the hell out of it years ago and never got nothing but a few stinkin bullheads!That fake crab might work though,it,s just made of ground up fish of one kind or the other.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010

3. Spider

Spider New Member

State:
    Hamburg, PA
    No. I can't afford to buy seafood to use for bait. $1.28 at tub for chicken livers or take my chances with nightcrawlers. Plan on going with some live bait this year, I've only ever fished minnows so some sunnies will be a new learning thing.

4. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    No i would eat it before we got to the fishig hole!!!lol...I want to try live baits and some secret 87 this year about all im going to use this year...

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

Gills=Your PB going way up!:Happy:

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    My favorite bait for Channel Cats is Bluegill heads! :smile1:

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I guess we have uppity channels around here,, I only catch them on nightcrawlers, cut bait, and smaller swimmin gills, every once inawhile, if I have water dogs, one of those may get hit..

8. pennsyvinn

pennsyvinn Member

State:
    PA
    Back when the river used to get hammerd by the chicken liver crews,I would change it up & use shrimp.I did real well back then,on nice channels.My favorite bait for channels,are what I call crick fish.I'm talking about minnows,chubs,baby rockbass,baby sunnies,etc.Anything that you can catch in a minnow trap,will catch channels,especially in winter.Wild caught will outfish bait shop minnows big time.I fish them live or whack them in half with the shears(I only fish the heads)

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sometimes I'll use shrimp in the early spring. Creek chubs and small sunnies cut or live. Cut sauger, white bass, and trout work good too.

10. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I'm sure that stuff would fly off your hook when you chuck the bait!

11. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    My son ordered crab sticks from a chinese restaurant last night and he didn't like it so I figured ......Bait!!!!!!!It is molded into shape and pretty tough so if I lob it it good it should be ok for bait ,just a thought.

12. River dog

River dog New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Never tried crabmeat but creek chubs bluegills and the old standby chicken liver have
    been working for me. Has anyone had any luck with those store bought baits?
    I have no luck with them...

13. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I tried shad chunks from Wally world but didn't really try them at night so don't know if they would work or not.

14. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    I've caught 2-3lb channels on Mcdonalds french fries. Only cost a buck. Was fishing for bluegill to use for bait and cought about 10 channels in 2 hours. Surprised the heck out of me. I think it was the oil in the fries that made them work.

As far as walmart baits they are junk. Don't waste your money. Buy a good dip bait like secret 7.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  15. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

LMAO Jim,I tried those shad chunks once for channels,they looked pretty good.They dyed my damn fingers red for about 3 days!:Nop::at-wits-end:

16. restorerancientiron

restorerancientiron New Member

State:
    Cadiz, KY
    Not many but I have used the magic bait chicken blood for small channels.It works well with a float near riprap or laydowns .Kids find it somewhat easier than messing with liver.I have used the Danny Kings original punch bait and caught alot of fish , channels and blues.These will work well if you are after small eating fish.To be honest I haven't seen much that small channels won't eat.For bigger ones I prefer to use crawfish or shad peices.Put the head on one line and the gut pocket on another and discard the tail.I also have used shrimp and caught fish.

17. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    I caught my PB channel on shrimp 15# ; )

18. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

They catch them like crazy up Erie on the shrimp too.Seems like some areas they really love em and some they don,t.Got me?

19. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I have caught channels on ivory soap ,old cheese,shrimp,liver danny kings punch bait, CJS punch bait,crawdads,shad,gills,cut carp and all kind of stuff.:tongue1:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  20. readingcatfisher

State:
    Berks coun
    That was my PB channel cat caught from Blue Marsh Lake,the Second biggest channel cat on a sunny head also Blue Marsh Lake