Different Rigs

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by kenmany, Aug 29, 2006.

1. kenmany

kenmany New Member

State:
    NC
    Hello everyone. Just wondering what kind of rigs everyone uses for big flatheads. I use a simple circle hook, 12" leader(usually 50lb), barrell swivel, bead and weight(1.5-4oz). Any new ideas of different leaders that might be ok to use for the big boys?

2. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I use the same rig you use some of the time, only with a Kahle hook, and 30lb leader. I don't like to use anything over 30lb test with live bait because it does not look as natural with heavy line, just my opinion.

Sometimes I use a 3 way rig, with a three way swivel, a 30lb leader, and 1oz egg sinker on 6 lb test line, so it will break away easy if it gets hung, and all I have to do is replace sinker, instead of whole rig. The three way rig keeps your bait about a foot off the bottom, or however much you want it off the bottom for that matter. Also allows your bait to swim freely in circles.

3. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I use the same rig you do but I use 50 lb power-pro for leaders do to the small dia which gives the live bait more freedom to move. 50 lb power-pro is the same size dia as 12 lb mono.

4. bufryda1

bufryda1 New Member

State:
    Erwin, NC
    8/0 Owner circle hook with about 18" of 80lb leader and a 2-4oz weight, cant go wrong. I have caught some good flatheads with a carolina rig too.

5. Xterra_Man

Xterra_Man New Member

State:
    wv
    I have been using a eagle claw catfish rig and a 1/0 hook

6. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do pretty much the same thing: carolina rig or fishfinder rig. On the fishfinder rig, i use a sinker slide with a snap so I can change sinkers easily. I like to use different sinkers for differnet situations:

For example:
    The rod that goes straight back behing the boat gets a small egg sinker. All it has to do is keep the bait on the bottom.

Generally I have at least one rod rigged with a pyramid sinker so I can throw it off to the side (cross the current in the river) and the pyramid will hold.