Different names for the same species of catfish?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Big Dav, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    A post I just read and replied to got me thinking. Scary isn't it. :smile2:
    How many different names do the same species of catfish share?
    Flatheads for example. I know of a couple but I am sure there are others.
    I even heard a TV host the other day say
    What names do the other species of catfish have?

I know I could look this all up online somewhere but what fun would that be. Besides I think it could be a useful bit of information.:big_smile:

Thanks
    David

2. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    There are different names for catfish that are the same fish but different names. Like I just learned. The yellow cat and flathead are the same just different areas. But they look different to me. The yellow cat is really yellowish in color compared to the flat head. I guess they are all fun to catch no matter what they are called

3. lilgriz

lilgriz New Member

State:
    Aurora, KY
    I know when I lived in Louisiana we called a flathead a spotted cat or an apaloosa cat

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I fished a small pond behind a buddy of my father in laws that swore up and down he had some "Arkansas Blue Cats" in there??? Anyway the only fish we ever caught out of there were channels, I think he got them mixed up?:eek:oooh:

5. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We always called the Flathead, a yellow cat. I've heard the Channelcat called a fiddler or spotted cat. I've heard the bullheads called mudcats, or pollywogs.I've never heard the Bluecat called anything else except whatahog !:smile2:

6. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Down in Texas A fresh water Drum is call a gaspagule " Probably not spelled wright". And a Crappy are called a white Perch.

7. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I,ve heard shovelhead for flathead before. As far as channel blues there was a place in texas that crossbreeds them.

8. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Also ayellow Bullhead we call it a Mudcat. In Texas and Arkansas.

9. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    flathead shovel head, yellow cat. channel cat spotted cat. blue cats have been called white cats:embarassed: no no if you catch a white cat over 10# i will laugh at you the record is like 6# they dont get that big if someone tells you they cought a 20#white cat its probally a blue.

10. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    There are the correct names of catfish, and then there are the names that people make up for them.

What really gets confusing is when they start assigning the made up names for one species to the wrong species!!!

Do youself a favor and learn the correct names for the different types of catfish and it will save you alot of trouble and grief later on. :wink:

"...if you catch a white cat over 10# i will laugh at you the record is like 6# they dont get that big..."

The state record here in NC is 13 pounds....

11. Pfunk

Pfunk New Member

State:
    Lake Fork - Texas
    I caught a 15lb siamese cat once... :tounge_out:

12. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Well personally I call them by what's in the book but not the latin name.
    The three major cats Blue Catfish, Channel Catfish and the Flathead Catfish, I call them by there names but any of the small species I gerenally refer to them as bullheads except for white catfish.

White Crappie and Black Crappie I usually call them Crappie no sence being racist with the fish. LOL

White Perch are a species in the True Bass Family along with White Bass, Yellow Bass and Striped Bass. I've never refer to them as anything other than White Perch.

Sunfish aka bream. I have some trouble telling them apart every once in awhile but its because they hybridize so it can be tough.

13. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Many years ago I cought a 25 1/2 lb. Flat head, it was real dark almost black, as I was leaveing the river with it an old fisherman told me it was a Willow Cat. Never heard of one since . ( sowhat who cares ) !!!

14. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    in fla. my cousins called these lilttle cats we were catching sea cats. they sure looked like small blues to me. its all in where your at and who you are talking to. there are some old guys around her that insist they catch blue cats, but they are male channels and thats all. no blues up around me, but i just listen and nod. respect your elders, you know. lol like said by someone, learn the correct names from lagit sorces.

15. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well, to confuse matters more, I don't think a willowcat is a bullhead either...it's a madtom, and there are many variations of the madtom.

Anyways, take the bluecat for example. A few years back, there was no distinction made between channelcats, and bluecats as far as regulations were concearned in Missouri. You could keep 10 of either, or a combination of both. Common names for them BEFORE they changed the regulations were Arkansas White cat, white cat, and humpback channelcat. Virtually nobody called one a bluecat until the regs were changed, and we were made to make the distinction between blues and channels. Now, their photo and proper name are posted at every public access in the state. Old timers still call them whitecats though. I often call them chuckleheads because the small ones chuckle more than the croak of a channelcat. I call channels croakers. lol. I do know their real names though no matter what I decide to call them that day.

16. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    im not gonna ripp ya earl because i fish the same water as you except its called the mdc on the kansas side. and i too have cought theise big white looking cats but like you said in the next post cats not just flats change color depending on surroundings temp or oxygen level. i also cannot vouch for every fish though but i can say i have cought verry few white cats in the mdc / osage

17. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Its not just cats-I gre up knowing drum as perch here and a shovelnose sturgeon called a hackle back....Is it a geography thing?