Different kinds of catfish bites

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by Mccallister25, May 26, 2020.

1. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    A lot of times when I’m fishing I’ll notice that it seems like a fish will slam my bait and my rod will jerk just once. After that it could be a while before my rod moves again, if at all. Just curious as to how catfish bite. Do they sometimes just mouth it and drop it? It seems like I miss quite a few bites unless the rod doubles over and I know 100% that a fish is swimming off with my bait. Thanks for any input guys. I’m still new to catfishing and want to learn as much as I can.

Herbhome likes this.
  2. trail11591

trail11591 Member

State:
    MI
    Name:
    Matt
    That’s tough always seems like my buddies rod never moves then you look over and it’s bent in half trying to get outta the rod holder... while mine most of the time it seems like they are just mouthing it and I get them maybe I should pay less attention and I’ll get the good hits that he gets

3. Thunder head

Thunder head Well-Known Member

State:
    Georgia
    Name:
    Steven
    Who knows,
    It can be different from one day to the next.

I think, when your rod jerks hard once and then nothing happens for awhile. A small fish that couldnt get the bait in his mouth. Picked it up and took off with it. When it jerks out. it takes awhile for them to find it again.Or they just give up.

Blue cats mostly grab the bait and run with it. Not always though.

Flatheads will take the rod down slowly most of the time. Some times they will just lay right there and chew on it. Especially the small ones.

Mccallister25 and prlwng like this.
  4. prlwng

prlwng Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    south dakota. sioux falls area
    Name:
    bill
    Then there the ones that pick up bait and swim to you. Have had lines go slack in current and have to reel fast to set hook.

Mccallister25 likes this.
  5. 3rivers

3rivers Well-Known Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    Name:
    Gregg
    An isolated hard jerk can also be a fish simply swam into your line. I've seen that happen quite often.

6. JByrd

JByrd Well-Known Member

State:
    S.C.
    Name:
    Thomas D Price
    The flats will stay still and munch on the bait. No bites so started reeling in once and had a small 2 lb. flat head on.

Herbhome likes this.
  7. Bobbycat

Bobbycat Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Name:
    Bob
    Zach,
    Try to fish with a slip bobber. You will get much more information what happens with your bait and line. I frequently use bobbers which help me to identify turtles and fish biting. As mentioned above, usually big and midsize blue cats hit baits like a truck.

P.S. Also try to use smaller hooks and baits.

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  8. trail11591

trail11591 Member

State:
    MI
    Name:
    Matt
    Yep remember one time using a circle hook something hit the rod one time that was it kept waiting decided to reel it in and check sure enough had a 2 pound flathead on the line swallowed the bait and hook

9. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Well-Known Member

State:
    Matthews, NC
    Name:
    Ted
    So many variables...

-Smaller fish may run with the bait trying to get somewhere safe to eat it. A big fish just eases around because there is no other fish around big enough to take it away (or eat him).
    -During winter (if the water temp is in the 30's) the fish's metabolism is slowed way down and they just laze around. Whereas in the summer they are zipping around trying to catch live prey.
    -If you cast into a flatheads hideout/ambush site, he may grab it and ease back into his security lair. If the flathead is cruising his favored route along the bank, he will keep moving along afterwards.
    - If a catfish is in a school of other catfish chasing schools of baitfish, they must move fast to catch dinner and also to secure it before another catfish takes it away. A solitary catfish is not as motivated to move quickly.

So, I do not try to anticipate how a fish will take my bait. I simply make sure my hooks are as sharp as possible and try to hook my baits so the point is exposed as well as possible to increase the chance of hooking the catfish when he takes it.

so many variables....

Mccallister25 likes this.
  10. Mccallister25

Mccallister25 Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Name:
    Zach
    So with that being said, in general, how quick do you typically reel up on a fish after a detected strike? Sooner than later or are you waiting on some kind of follow up movement from your rod before you jerk him?

11. tuscan toadfish

tuscan toadfish Well-Known Member

State:
    Matthews, NC
    Name:
    Ted
    Personally, when I detect a strike, I grab the rod from the rod holder, point the rod at where the line is pointed to, and slowly wind the excess line in until the line is tight. (I fish anchored with rods in free spool with clickers on.) I use braid so I can feel everything from the hook side of the line, but the fish can also feel everything I do, so I am slow and gentle so as not to alert the fish that I am reeling down on him. (If there is a lot of excess line out I quickly reel that in, but slow way down as the line tightens.) When I have the line tight and I feel a little tension, I stop. If nothing changes, I wait. If I feel the line being taken further out, I strike. If I feel tapping as a fish is biting or playing with bait, I wait a while. I am really waiting to feel the fish taking line away or sideways to me to set the hook. If the fish is swimming towards me, I continuously slowly reel in the slack, keeping the line tight enough for me to feel what's going on. If the tapping continues for several minutes, I will strike and reel in to see what's playing with my bait.

Herbhome likes this.