Different day, same story

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by TN Greg, Oct 2, 2007.

1. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Stared the "skunk" straight in the eye last night.......I blinked. I was able sit on 6 separate spots in the mighty Mississippi -- 20-25 minutes each. The deep hole below the dam, a sandbar, a dike, and 3 ledges yielded not a single bite. I was in water from 18 feet to 51 both fast and slow. There seem to be an abnormal amount of current below the dam as it took 18 oz to get down. Carp, shad and goldeneye were the baits. Wow.....things are slow or the fish have just changed (alot). I'm not sure which or even what I would do different if I went tonight (I'm not).

I was going to take a snapshot of the fish finder when I saw what I thought were the blue cats, but I didn't see squat last night. I suspect that tells me something. I wish something would change.

2. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    I understand staring the Skunk in the eye, but it is still more fun than staring the TV in the eye.

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    very good point russ,,,,,,welcome aboard buddy:0a25:

4. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Hang in there Greg.. Your time will come...

5. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    I think the fish are adjusting to the cooler water, but they still have to eat.
    one would think they would be on a feeding frenzy before the colder months
    Im no pro its just my thoughts.........

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I'm not seeing any fish out in the channel at all. I AM seeing alot of BIG fish in 10 feet of water or less though. Dont know what they are as I couldnt get them to bite either. Perhaps they are belting the shad and skipjack fry's. I dunno. Spent a couple of hours on Google and have found this tends to happen end of Sept. and early Oct EVERY year. The poor bite is even down south as far as Mississippi (The State). If someone catch's a rat (10 Pounds or less) would they mind sacrificing it to the dinner table and looking in its stomach. I have a suspicion their might be some zebra muscles in its belly.

7. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    The bite is slow here but, there still bitting some what. Just keep at it and fish some place or a different style then what you would normally. What ever you are doing now is not working. Mix it up some. Hmm come to think of it thats how I won the tournament Saturday night.......

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    I can mix it up with the best of em Josh. Gary and I mixed it up yesterday like I never have. We even casted up into turd discharge pipe to see if we could get a channel cat. Was pretty funny actually since we were using our Big Rigs with 8 ounce weights and 10 ott hooks to get a channel cat. It was amusing to say the least. I'll be tossing some live baits at em the next time or two out. You wont ever see me quit trying thats for sure. I'll have another 80 or 90 flopping around next to the boat soon. :wink:

9. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    You'd be surprised what them little Channels can fit in their mouths Cuz. I've caught 2 this year on 8/0 Circle Hooks one was about 4#'s the other about 2#'s.....Not even sure how they got the shad in their mouth(about 8 inches), but they did.

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    There still RATS!!! :smile2: