Different color flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by ohio catfisherman, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ohio catfisherman

ohio catfisherman New Member

State:
    Ohio
    how come some flattys you see are like yellow lime green and then some or dark green kinda brownish is it maybe cause the water be clean or dirty i dont know if you could help me out id appreciate it

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Flatheads appear to be able to change color to match their surroundings. I have seen them all over mustard yellow - a pretty good match to the clean sand bottom of the Edisto River. I've also seen lots of mattled brown and black ones - that match sunken wood pretty darn well.

I say I think they can change because I have put a yellow one in a livewell, and when he came out 20 minutes later he was brown and black.

3. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I have never seen a yellow flathead caught out here in eastern PA. I think they are rare aout here. 100% of them are dark brown and black.

4. savage308

savage308 New Member

State:
    Victoria, Texas
    Down here in texas they are mostly yellow in color, hence the name "Yellow Cat" which we call them down here.

Several of the ones i've caught are cornmeal colored with salt and pepper seasoning spots.... MMMhmmmm goodddddd.... :big_smile:

5. rushing

rushing New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    Lactic acid building up and oxygen levels droping in the fish during a fight will often make flats to become lighter in color. Some times its just genetics. Last summer I caught two 25lb flats an hour a part and one was dark green and the other bright gold.

6. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    Flatheads have adapted to their surroundings. In lighter colored water thay are more of a yellow color. At least thats what i have seen, no expert though.:tounge_out:

7. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    They are very good at blending in with their surroundings

8. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana

have to agree. I HAVE ACTUALLY TAKEN A FEW TO PUT IN PRIVATE PONDS AND DEPENDING ON THE DISTANCE BETWEEN WATER HOLES, SOME WILL TURN THE YELLOWISH COLOR.

9. Guthooked

Guthooked New Member

State:
    Ga
  10. JTR

JTR New Member

State:
    virginia
    I agree with everybody else, They look like what they have been laying around.

11. dex

dex Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Remember flats are predators so they have to blend in to hide them selves

12. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    the pne in ,y pic came from deep clear water he was about 30 ft deep.