Differences Of Penn Reels?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TNVOLCAT, Jan 11, 2006.

1. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What Is/are The Differences Between The Penn 320 Gt2 And The New Penn 220 Gto Besides Price? This Is What I Came Up With.

220 Gto- 1. Stainless Frame
    2. Weighs 23 Oz.
    3. 1 Stainless Ball Bearing?
    4. Gears?
    5. Price- $52.95@ Catfish Conn.

320 Gt2- 1. Graphite Frame
    2. Weighs 19.5 Oz.
    3. 2 Stainless Steel Ball Bearings
    4. Stainless And Bronze Gears
    5. Price- $87.50@ Catfish Conn.

Things Both Reels Have In Common:

1. Levelwind
    2. Bait Clicker
    3. Spool Capacity
    4. Auto Anti-reverse
    5. Aluminum Spool

They Seem Pretty Similar To Me Excect The $35 Dollar Difference.
    Seems Like A Great Reel For The Money. Also Seems Like I Heard That The 220 Gto Is Being Made In China? Anyone With More Input On This Matter Please Reply.

2. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I do know one thing, that is a great price on the 220 gto, bass pro is selling them for 69:99.....

3. dademoss

dademoss New Member

State:
    Ohio
  4. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    I have only used my 220 gto one time and i like it so much i orderd another one today,the first one i bought from bass pro and payed around 70 bucks for the one i just orderd came from CC and i got it for 53 bucks.
    im not real sure abou tthe 320 gt2 but the clicker on my 220 is very loud,i dont think ive ever herd a reel with such a loud clicker,very nice reel.......go ahead an buy yourself one you wont be dissapointed.

5. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    The main difference would probably 220GTO has a star drag and the 320LD has a lever drag. It says in the 220GTO, the main gears are manganese-bronze in the and the anodized spool is suitable for braid lines.

6. roh1961

roh1961 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I got so wrapped up in the lever drags that I missread the 320GT2 into one. Sorry, you would think with a head that size my mind would work before my mouth gets in gear

7. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I didn't spend much time, but the main difference I found was that the 320 has a graphite frame, while the 220 has a stainless steel frame.

8. MidOhioCat

MidOhioCat New Member

State:
    Columbus, OH
    Yes the 220's are made in China. I have recently bought 2 but have not used them yet, except for casting them in the back yard one day. Seem real smooth.

9. MidOhioCat

MidOhioCat New Member

State:
    Columbus, OH
    I don't think the 220 has Auto Anti Reverse as you mention. Maybe I am not sure what that is, but I thought I did.

10. birdnest

birdnest New Member

OK, looking for advice between two reels. I have, after years of experience in fishing salt, learned that you always buy the best quality you can afford. As a result, I have pretty much settled on 3 mfgrs for my reels. Penn, Ambassador, and Shimano. The Shimano's are great for medium duty such as bass, slot reds, specs, and most channel cats. Great quality, finesse and just feels like an extension of your forearm when matched to a nice All-Star or comparable stick. One thing about Shimano's is they are quite proud of them and I have to save my penny's for quit a while to afford them. The ABU's are just such a reliable workhorse that can take tons of abuse, with minimal maintenance and just perform day in and day out. Pretty much ditto for the Penns. So, since I have to work for my money, I am trying to decide if I should buy a second PENN 310 GTI for chasing the big cats, or give an Ambassador 7000 a shot? I have an ABU 5600 and 6500 C4 and seems like the 7 grand would be pretty cool.
    I'm probably putting it on a 7' big cat ugly stick and most of my fishing is from the bank, bluff walls or my 14' Ambush Kayak. I'm now living by Wheeler Lake in Northern AL. What I'm hoping to do, is get into some of these 30# plus cats here on Wheeler. So what do ya'll think?
    Thanx in advance for your input.
    Tightlines,
    Birdnest

11. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Birdnest, I have both, Penn 320gti, gt2's and Garcia 7000's. If you want a workhorse reel, that will live up to the big fish continually day in and day out, I would not own another reel besides the Penns. The garcias sure look nice but there drag system is not the quality of the penns. Plus, I don't care what my reels look like, especially since most of them are covered in shad scales, skip scales and blood.