Differences between muzzleloader and rifle scopes?

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by derbycitycatman, Sep 17, 2007.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    I know the recoil is a bit different but will putting a rifle scope on a muzzleloader quickly damage the scope?

2. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    I have used tasco rifle scopes on my muzzle loaders for 25 years now, i'm on my 3rd muzzle loader and have yet to have one damaged..I'm sure there s some difference but..if it can stand up to a 7mm mag it should be able to take 150 grains of pyrodex...:wink:

3. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    The main difference is eye relief, or the distance that you can hold your head behind the scope. The muzzleloaders tend to have more recoil, so they have a greater eye relief so you can hold your head farther back to cut down the chance of getting a "half moon" over your eye.

4. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    It never hurt a scope on my 50.cal Knight and truth be known I've had a scope cut me 3 times from recoil on my 3006 but never had it happen with a muzzleloader.

P.S. I handlload my 3006 very hot.:dribble:

5. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Purchase a good quality scope and you won't have to worry. I only use leupold but burris also makes an excellent scope. I use them on rifles and muzzloaders and have never had any problems.

6. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    my neighbor was a sniper and now works for a miltary supplier says he has never heard of a good scope damaged by putting it on a muzzleloader.

7. Catter

Catter New Member

State:
    Osceola, Arkansas
    I don't think you will have a problem. I believe the only time you have to worry about getting the right scope is when you buy a air rifle. The recoil on these is reverse of what it is on a regular rifle.

Joe