difference in circle hooks

Discussion in 'Terminal Tackle Review' started by brinley45cal, Oct 18, 2005.

1. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thers all kinds of defferent circle hooks out there but what are the differences? Say acircle sea hook and an octopus circle hook,is there any difference?And do they function the same way?thanks.

2. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    On the old BOC (RIP) several of us catters were asked to go out and buy circle hooks and take measurements just so we could determine the same questions you are asking. It was put in a database for ease of use and available from the site. I don't know what become of that data after the switch.

I do remember that not all circle hooks were the same. In fact the dimensions varied from brand to brand such as the all-important inside gap. Also a 4/0 from one maker was smaller/larger/different than another maker. No consistancy. Makes it hard if someone says "use a 4/0 circle hook". Don't know which one to get the same performance.

From what I've gathered. The Circle Sea are heavier and chrome (?) to resist corrosion. The Octopus Circle (my favorite) have the upturned (octopus-style) eye.

One thing, though, they are all supposed to function the same way - don't set the hook. Let the rod load up then do a gentle lift and start reeleing. Also supposed to be hooked in corner of mouth. I get all types a hook placements with the gama. octopus circles. Wonder if it's from the offset?

Hope this helps. BTW. I've only in the last month become a real fan of circle hooks, so I'm by no means an expert. Just my thoughts.

Scott

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    The octopus circle also has an offset to it vs. the in line circles. The entire circle hook world is a shambles. LOL! No standardazation what so ever when it comes to size. Me,I swear bye the Gamakatsu Octopus circle. Just wish they made em bigger than 8/0.

4. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    The database will be posted soon in our new library. Working on some conversion issues.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
  6. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I would have never thought there was that many types of Circle hooks

7. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    No reason there shouldn't be as many circles as there are other types LOL.To me the Daiichi Bleeding Circle Chunks (Hope I got that right) are the best because they have a somewhat bigger gap than other circles.7/0 is my choice.I've seen them used on the James and they work very well although we had one 58lb fish twist one like a pretzel.Still held long enough to catch him.If you are worried about the small gap inherent to circle hooks,try these as they are wider.

8. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    Good Lord i had no idea there were that many kinds.And the thing about it is ive never seen even half of these in stores before.The wal-mart here dosent carry any kind of circle hook but one and thats the circle sea.Im new to circle hooks but i tried the octopus circle by gam and did real well with them.
    but i did notice the difference in size, a 3/0 in one brand might be a 4/0 in another,very confusing.

9. brinley45cal

State:
    kentucky
    I forgot to thank everyone for there input and help you guys are awsome.

10. walexa07

walexa07 New Member

State:
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    All I run is limb lines and have good success using the plain straight 10/0 Mustad, which has 1.25" between the shank and the barb. We had almost 10 moderately opened up and lost the fish this last weekend and I'm very interested in the circle hooks. I would like a super strong stainless similar in size to the 10/0 Mustad I've been using. The photos showing which dimensions are which do not come up so I have no comparison data. Can anybody steer me in the right direction? Thanks.

Waylan
    Northeast Louisiana