Difference between the 6500 series and 5500 series Abu

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by gadzooks, Aug 14, 2006.

1. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Was in a sporting goods store today and took a close look at the Abu 5500's and the 6500's. I've a 5600 C4 that I use for catfishing, which is, I believe, the wide spool version of the 5500. When I compared the 5500/5600 reels to the 6500 reels, the main difference appeared to be more line capacity in the 6500. The 6500 appeared to be able to hold more line and, therefore, bigger lines. Am I right, is there also a difference in the way these two series are built internally? I'm satisfied with my 5600, but will buy a new reel probably next year and tend to think long term when I look at what, for me, are major purchases. It took me 6 months to decide on the 5600. Of course, I didn't know about the Brotherhood back then either.

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    the 4 the 5 the 6 and 7 and so on are sizes of the reels. All the standard Abu's of each size hold the same amount of line. There are two 5600's that are blue and have a 6.3 gear ratio. The one that is WS is actually Wiffle Spool not wide spool so it will hold the same amount of line as any other Abu 5XXX. The D Abu's are a little bit differen't, but most guys on here use the C Abu's is that makes any sense. If not I'll try to clarify more later.

3. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I didn't measure the reels, just eyeballed them. There seemed to be not that much difference between the 5000 series and the 6000's. I can tell pretty far away the difference in size of the 7000. Right now, almost all the cats I'm catching are channels in the 4-7 lb range, but I'm beginning to figure out the lake I fish. Hopefully, I'll be getting into some bigger fish. And, this fall and winter, hope to get into some blues. For now, the 5600 C4 and the 6600D5 do well. I've also got a collection of spinning tackle that handles smaller catfish great. But, you know how it is with fishermen. Its the sport of the optimistic and its good to be prepared.

4. Amigo108

Amigo108 New Member

State:
    Columbia, Maryland
    Clickers start on the 6000 series and up, that's another difference.

5. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Not true, my 5600 C4 has a bait clicker.

6. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Not true, my 5600 C4 has a bait clicker. My 6600D5, which is just the wide spool version of th 5600D5 has a clicker as does the 5600. I don't often use the clicker as I'm right there with the rod and reel in my kayak.

7. dwreel

dwreel New Member

State:
    Southern Pines, NC
    My 5600AB does NOT have a clicker on it. The "AB" stands for anti backlash.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    There are several versions of the 5600 series. My C4 has the 6.3 to 1 retrieve ratio and does have the bait clicker. It sits right by my computer and I examined it earlier to be sure that is is a 5600. I bought it early this year, so its not the new one with the carbon matrix drag. From what I've seen on the abugarcia website, the new version does not appear to have a clicker.

9. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Guess I didn't hit submit, thought I'd posted a response. AbuGarcia appears to make several versions of the 5600. My C4 does have the clicker, I examined it earlier this afternoon. The website indicates that the newly revised C4 does not and neither does the C3. I'm not trying to say anyone is wrong, only that my experience is the 5600C4 I bought and the ones I saw a few weeks ago at Gander Mountain had clickers. I guess what we have established is that AbuGarcia makes a lot of versions of the same reel and changes from time to time.

But, my original question has more to do with whether there are internal differences...bigger gears, etc., and not just line capacity or clickers. I understand that increased line capacity means I can use heavier line, though if I chose to use Power Pro or another braid, that's not as much of an issue. The issue has to do with cranking power and the ability to bring in a big cat.