Difference between Penn 209 and squidder

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by TNAngler, Jun 18, 2007.

1. TNAngler

TNAngler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    What are the differences (if any) btw the Penn 209 and Squidder other than the levelwind. I am looking to get a new conventional and I am considering the Squidder but have always used levelwind reels....not sure if minor distance increases are worth losing the level wind convienence. Comments?

2. kickin_wing

kickin_wing New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have only used levelwind reels before, but im sure i could get used to a reel without levelwind pretty quick. :cool2:

3. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    The squidder in the right hands will throw further than that Penn 209 reel.

4. TNAngler

TNAngler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Signifigantly farther?

5. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    The Squidder with plastic spool is capable of much more distance than 209.If the Squidder has metal spool it will get a little more than the 209 because of the friction and drag from the levelwind.There are plastic spool 209's but haven't tried them or know how they do.
    Jake

6. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    if u need to cast 100yds or more def. the squidder, but anything less the 209s will do u right. bulletproof!!! hnterrcc

7. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    The Squidder will absolutely cast farther than a 209. I used Squidders for years when I surf fished in Florida. I still have 2 new Squidders I purchased when I moved back home. I only bank fish around the Alton dam and use 12' rods for max distance. I had never used a level wind before, so I purchased an Abu 6500c3 and started casting with it. I now own a 6500c3, a 6500CS PRO Rocket and a 7000 PRO Rocket. The difference in distance with the ABU'S and the Squidder is not enough for me to switch back to the Squidders. I still have a ton of great memories with the Squidders, but the retrieve is very slow, and when you are fishing in fast current with tough bottom structure, you need to get the line in as fast as possible. If you decide to go with the Squidder be sure to practice a lot to develop and educated thumb. And don't forget to purchase a quality rod for such a classic reel. Good luck.

8. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    One of the larges and most complete sites that I know of on Penn reels.Model information,repair information,help and tips.Also parts. www.pennparts.com Put out by Scott's Bait and Tackle.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

9. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    Squidder has bearings vs bushings on the 209. The fact that the 209 has the levelwind is another distance reducing factor. I have thrown the squidder with the plastic wind brake spool well over 400 with 6nbait. I don't fish with them anymore, but they are practically undestructable. Best of all they have the quick change spool.

I would avoid the newer squidders since the quality is not as good and some of the oil points were eliminated compared to the older ones.

With that 3.3:1 gear ratio on the squidder using the thumb is relatively easy do to the retrieval is so slow.

10. TNAngler

TNAngler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks to everyone for all their input.....I have a squidder on the way.

11. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    You won't regret it.

I have two that I purchased new in the early '70s, and they're still going strong.

Nothing can match the feeling you get when you really air one of those suckers out...it's a real rush!