The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Chicken and Kool aid,,,,,,,,,, Oh No, here we go. Are you sure it wasn't snagged? No again, I'm kidding. Good fish Deiter. But I still don't need to run out and stock up on chicken and Kool aid. I don't need 7 different brands and styles of hooks or 12 different brands of rod, while always looking for the newest rod on the market.

All I have to do is bait up and wet a line.

Like Catfish Dave says. When you see water there are probably fish. They have to eat. You just have to have a baited hook soaking when they decide to eat.

tight lines all.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Nice Fish. I wish I could catch them on chicken like that. I usually have some chicken with me in case I don't get much fresh bait. Still even with channel catfish, I catch more on some type of natural bait like shad or bluegill than I do on the chicken.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Nice Fish. I wish I could catch them on chicken like that. I usually have some chicken with me in case I don't get much fresh bait. Still even with channel catfish, I catch more on some type of natural bait like shad or bluegill than I do on the chicken.

That is my thoughts also Craig. No doubt chicken will catch fish. And I think Kool-aid might help. Or maybe Garlic powder. But I think natural baits are the better go to baits. If you have trouble getting natural fresh baits then CHICKEN it is.

And every once in a while when you cast out there is a chance you will land the bait right on a big cats nose. So a big cat caught on chicken is bound to happen occasionally.

tight lines all.

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Haha, you might be right Neill. Either way it was a nice fish. But if I go grocery shopping tomorrow and find out they are out of chicken, I am going to be irritated. Especially after what I was told.

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I messed up the topic line. I think he used strawberry jello not Kool-aid. Sorry

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure why the jello would make any difference. I have tried plain chicken and chicken with garlic powder without any luck. Gelatin is an animal product so maybe that is a bite trigger.
Who comes up with this stuff?

·
Banned
79 Posts
I looked into the "Ancient Mariner" reels he was pumping on one of his videos.

Honestly, they look like a Kast Kings with a different paint job. I am guessing that is exactly what they are.

I am still suspicious of these Chinese reels. From personal experience with tools, I can say the Chinese quality control is crap. You might get the best piece of equipment ever in one box and the next box is a total and complete piece of junk.

I so want them to be good but I have just read too many reviews that have bad things to say. When you have 330 comments and 84 of them are very bad....that is not a good ratio

·
Registered
60 Posts
I looked into the "Ancient Mariner" reels he was pumping on one of his videos.

Honestly, they look like a Kast Kings with a different paint job. I am guessing that is exactly what they are.

I am still suspicious of these Chinese reels. From personal experience with tools, I can say the Chinese quality control is crap. You might get the best piece of equipment ever in one box and the next box is a total and complete piece of junk.

I so want them to be good but I have just read too many reviews that have bad things to say. When you have 330 comments and 84 of them are very bad....that is not a good ratio
If you read between the lines with all the rods and reels that he has, he is getting them for free to try out and give advertising. I don't blame him for doing it as we all probably wouldn't turn down free gear. LOL.

·
Registered
39 Posts
He did say "jello" in the video , I have tried both jello and Kool-Aid , they will both work on chicken.
Also used strawberry jello , garlic powder ,vanilla and yellow cornmeal boiled down and make doughballs for carp and catfish . Keep it clean , if you don't catch fish you can eat the bait.😊

·
Registered
OkC Oklahoma
270 Posts
That is my thoughts also Craig. No doubt chicken will catch fish. And I think Kool-aid might help. Or maybe Garlic powder. But I think natural baits are the better go to baits. If you have trouble getting natural fresh baits then CHICKEN it is.

And every once in a while when you cast out there is a chance you will land the bait right on a big cats nose. So a big cat caught on chicken is bound to happen occasionally.

tight lines all.
I watched Dieter’s video on YouTube. So, I tried it... several times. Nothing.
I read that cats like licorice and that they sometimes bite on fermented fruit bits.
So, licorice (anise seed oil) + fermentation (alcohol), so (don’t laugh), I cut a chicken breast into squares, put the in a tupperware container, added a shot of Lucid absinthe ( 134 proof, strong licorice scent and flavor).
Again, NOTHING!!
Like I have said in other posts, I have had chicken liver, chicken hearts, shrimp, various dough baits, minnows and goldfish in the water. What have I caught my biggest cats on? Nightcrawlers!!

I’ve heard people say that the best bait is whatever is likely to be in their environment, naturally.
So... this year, that’s what well serve them.
Smaller fish (baitfish, cut fish, etc) and bugs of various species.

Reactions: Craig Whyte

·
Premium Member
10,920 Posts
Sounds like a good plan GP. When a cat decides to eat he will eat about anything. But I think does prefer some things over others. And I have watched Bass and panfish do what I consider a reaction bite. I would think catfish would do the same. Now I have nothing against worms or chicken liver for channels but I have had good success with cut gills, shad ,,,,,fish. I generally cut a piece about the size of a little finger. Maybe bigger minnow size. Leave a lot of hook exposed. Now you are bank fishing and I am boat fishing,,,,usually drifting or trolling while dragging baits.

tight lines

·
Registered
60 Posts
I watched Dieter’s video on YouTube. So, I tried it... several times. Nothing.
I read that cats like licorice and that they sometimes bite on fermented fruit bits.
So, licorice (anise seed oil) + fermentation (alcohol), so (don’t laugh), I cut a chicken breast into squares, put the in a tupperware container, added a shot of Lucid absinthe ( 134 proof, strong licorice scent and flavor).
Again, NOTHING!!
Like I have said in other posts, I have had chicken liver, chicken hearts, shrimp, various dough baits, minnows and goldfish in the water. What have I caught my biggest cats on? Nightcrawlers!!

I’ve heard people say that the best bait is whatever is likely to be in their environment, naturally.
So... this year, that’s what well serve them.
Smaller fish (baitfish, cut fish, etc) and bugs of various species.
Yes, I think natural is better if you can. I have had good luck with nightcrawlers. Only issue with them is if you are dragging, they tend to come off the hook easy. Nice thing is they are readily available bait.

Biggest issue with natural fish bait is catching it at certain times of the year. Even worse if you live far from the water. I have been scouting for some small ponds closer to home where I can hopefully get an easy supply of bluegill during the summer. This will make bait catching hopefully easier. Bluegill during the summer are pretty easy to catch. Right now with our water temps here they aren't as readily available to catch.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts