DIESELS, is it the way of the future???

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by field989, May 23, 2006.

1. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yes i believe that diesels are the way of the future, with being able to produce bio-diesel, and what not(such as monsterous ammounts of torque, and most of the diesel pickup trucks out today can be modifed to be a real beast real easy)

also if you didnt already know instead of just running nitrous(such as a gasoline engine) you can run propane and nitruos!!!!! yes the same propane that you run your gas grill on!!!!

but these are just my opinions lol
    give me your opinions

for more info on bio-diesel go to
    http://www.itsgood4.us/biodiesel.htm

2. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    I think diesels have their place. I have heard of people taking the 3 cylinder kubota engines , they produce around 75 HP, and put them in S-10 sized pickups. They have been getting 75 to 80 miles to the gallon. The preformance is simialer to the stock 4 cyl gas engine.

Dont rule out ethonal. That is a very clean burning fuel. It produces more BTUs than it takes to produce it. Dont believe what the oil companies say.

Bio fuels all the way.

3. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yes the reason i think that diesels are gonna be good is cause bio-diesel (if you make it yourself) costs about $.90 a gallon to make

jmho

4. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I believe that Electric cars are the future. Battery technology is moving very fast and within 25 years there will be many electic cars that will go 300 miles on a charge, but will also be very comfortable if not sporty.

5. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    I can't stand the way a big diesel sounds. I'm hoping we can go back to horse and wagon. that's cheap.

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I got just enough of the tail end of the horse and buggy era to realize why it went.It cost a fortune to breed,raise,maintain (food,water,heath),use (cost of equipment and upkeep)and dispose of a horse and its body waste as the need arises.It is nice,quaint and works out fine for small groups of people.If it was cheaper,we would still have freight wagons instead of railroads and trucks.I have plowed a horse and a mule enough to know that I don;t want any more of it.I ain;t going to plant,hoe,chop,or pick any more cotton if I can help it either.A horse cain;t hoe,chop or pick that cotton.It takes a machine.How many people are going to volunteer for that cotton field,or any other field for that matter.I think a lot of naked people would starve to death if we went back to horses.I would be one of them.Not only do you have to take care of and treat a horse from top to bottom.You also have to do it from both ends,INSIDE and out.Don;t get me wrong.I love horses,as long as some one else is plowing them.peewee-williams

7. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :lol: BEEN THERE DONE THAT WITH THE HORSES LIKE PEE WEE.THANKS BUT NO THANKS. LOVEEM JUST DON'TY WANTEM. DON'T KNOW ABOUT DIESEL .IF EVERYBODY STARTS USING THAT BIO-PRODUCT GUESS WHAT IT WILL GO SKY HIGH PRICE WISE. IF THE GOVERNM HAS ANY THING TO DO WITH IT THAT IS. THEY DON'T WANT US TRYING TO BETTER OURSELVES. BETTER GET OFF HERE DON'T WANT TO GET STARTED ON THE GOVERNMENT. ELECTRIC -BE MY LUCK THE BATTERY WOULD GO DEAD OUT IN THE MIDDLE OF NO WHERE. YES DIESELS ARE HERE TO STAY.

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you thing diesels aren't here to stay, take a look at the number of cars in Europe that have diesel engines. Why? Gas over there costs about twice what it costs here, even after the recent price hikes.
    But, here's a question no one has been able to answer for me. I've always been told that because diesel is less highly refined, it costs less to produce than gasoline. That sure sounds reasonable. So, if diesel costs less to produce, how come it costs more at the pump? Sure didn't used to be that way. Of course, I have the same question about kerosene. When I was growing up, kerosene was 10 cents a gallon, while gasoline was 20-25 cents a gallon. I haven't priced kerosene in the last couple of years, but when I did, a gallon of kerosene cost about 50% more than a gallon of regular gasoline. Again, how come?
    Now I'm not one who thinks the guv'mint should be a huge factor in regulating our lives, but at times, it seems there's no alternative. I mean, if the guv'mint is going to pass laws against our shooting folks who corner the market then charge whatever they want, then the guv'mint is going to have to pass matching laws protecting the public against them. Actually, to be fair, the guv'mint HAS passed such laws. But, they've passed them so that they only apply to the guy operating the corner gas station; they DO NOT apply to the wholesalers and manufacturers. Yup, that's right, Exxon or any of its 'brothers in oil' can gouge to their heart's content, and it's perfectly legal. Tell me the American public is in favor of that! Incidentally, our 'representatives' in Congress are supposed to be considering laws to make such gouging illegal, but how much have you heard about that in the news? There are laws against price fixing too, but stations selling similar gas all seem to have the same prices, don't they? I mean, all the independents charge one price, all the cheaper name brands charge another, and all the top brands charge another. Just cooincidence.....right!

Oh, to get back on the original subject, here's a link showing gasoline and diesel prices in Europe.

http://goeurope.about.com/od/transportation/a/gas_prices.htm

9. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Europe has been usisng a high number of diesels cars for a long time. I'm also interested in Ethanol. The only thing I believe out of the oil companies is that they are looking out for their own interest and not ours.

10. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Burning straight propane in a gas engines was very popular in the 50's and early 60's. Cars, trucks, tractors and irrigation well motors. Until petrochemical manufacturers started using propane as a feed stock and increased the price of propane. Some propane was being burned in the oil field as waste gas in the early 50's.

11. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jerry thats an interesting point because diesel has about 6 or 7 less refining steps than gasoline.In days gone past diesel would be 15cents a gallon when gas was 30.The oil barons tell us it is still cheaper to make than gas BUT since we have limited refining capacity and the demand for gas is so high they simply can't make diesel cost effective.If you remember the first oil crisis the answer was convert evrything to diesel.Immediately the price of diesel statrted to climb and hasn't stopped yet.The tried and true answer we are given by the greedy oil kings all stems from refining capacity.The Greenies wont let them build any more refineries so the can't make more gas even when oil is a glut on the market.Now they blame the high prices on the fact that they have to shut down refineries for maint and to switch over from making all those clean air boutique fuels that the Greenies have demanded.The base fact is they can't stand the fact that we pay so much less for gas than Europe and other countries.That constitutes lost revenue in their mind.:angry:

12. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    i agree with the diesel prices being way over what they should be, and i think that if it was still cheaper like in the early days there would be more diesels than what there are now IMO

yeah the whole electric car thing is a good idea but i think it will still take a while for them to get it just right

13. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    The reason diesel is so high is the tax the GOVernment puts on it. They claim that since the big rigs use it and the big rigs tear up the road that they should pay a higher tax to help repair the roads.

14. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I believe that ethonal and electric will be the way to go in the future.

15. steve-o

steve-o New Member

State:
    ohio
    the only problem with this is that in 2 years, 80% of all diesel fuel produced will be the new "ultra low sulfer diesel" the removal of sulfer will cause rampant problems with algae and bacteria. the government is behind this, and sales reps, like myself will be selling a lot of fuel additives, to combat the problems. the icing on the cake is that, they can sell this low sulfer fuel as regular diesel, because it is considered an upgrade, even though it is actually an inferior fuel, not to mention, the fact that new engines will require a catalyst to help burn the fuel. this will raise engine temperatures causing more system failures than with regular fuels. biodiesel is going to have a positive impact on the market, it's just that it's not being produced fast enough to handle the demand.for more info sbabb0411@aol.com or sbabb0411@sssnet.com