Diesel vs. gasoline

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Little Luey, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I am just curious, all things being equal on pickup trucks, being Ford, Chevy or Dodge.
    How is the cost of ownership on a diesel truck compared to the gas engine? is it more expensive to own a diesel as far as maintenance or insurance? how about sticker price, which is more expensive on the lot?
    what are the pros and cons of having a diesel truck?
    seems to me that if diesel trucks were less expensive to own there will be a lot more on the road, but I am not sure.

2. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    diesels are far more expensive then gas trucks. The cost of the truck is higher and the repairs and maintenance is alot more. if its going to be a work truck hauling lots of weight and towing big heavy trailers then a diesel truck is defiantly the way to go, but for a daily driver and hauling the something occasionally then a gas truck will be fine. the way new diesels are i wouldnt consider owning one, there just one big headache.

3. BAMAJUGGER

BAMAJUGGER New Member

State:
    mccalla,alabama
    they are not really created that equal.i own a dodge diesel which is a 6cyl. ford and chevrolet are v8 diesels.as far as the sticker price,if a gas burner is 35,000 a diesel will be 45-50,000. my dodge has a 34 gallon fuel tank which takes about 80 dollars to fill up,but i do get around 20mpg,gas burner dodge gets about 15mpg.i pull a skid steer and a backhoe with mine and i wouldnt even attempt it with a gasser.also you can put a chip,exhaust and intake and make nearly 500hp:wink:. on a diesel when you get the oil changed get ready to spend 100 dollars verses the 39.99..diesels are made to work and work hard.ive put both of mine through hell and they still keep on going.but if you are looking for cheaper stay away from a diesel.

4. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I had no idea! :005:
    thanks guys for commenting.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah,What they said. I have a 2001 Ford F250 powerstroke,Costs me around 80.00 to fill the tank,and 75.00 to service it,That is excluding the fuel filter,Which I chance every 15,000 or fourth oil change.[ its 25.00]

6. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I just dumped my 07 dodge quad cab diesel 4x4. In december I was 15k in the hole. I owed 32k and was offered 17k. It only had 12k on it.In january I was 10k in the hole. In april I was 8 k in the hole and I just traded out of it at 3k in the hole. I grabbed the salt and pepper and that 3k taste like a big ribeye. I was glad to eat the 3k. That 6.7 new dodge is a Piece of dookie.

Awsome power but the new emissions threw engine codes all the time. Best mileage I ever got was 14 and some change when hand calculated. That little mileage gauge was off about 5 MPG. I settled for a quad Z71 and dropped my payment about 300.00 a month and that is factoring in the tasty 3 k I am eating. If you go dodge go find a 5.9.

The cruzing around looking kool days of running a diesel are over. I would be very hard pressed to own another one but funny thing is I love a diesel. The payment took away 98% of the pleasure of owning one. If I worked one I would not have anything else but it was the cool factor I was running on. Wrong answer these days.

7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma

There ya go,I bought mine cause I needed it for work,There is a fine line between need and want,I love lookin at a new '09 F450 dually four door goin down the road,BUT ,I aint gonna EVER drive one of my own.

8. thunderchicken

thunderchicken New Member

State:
    Yuma Az
    You should also consider the price of fuel too. Lately diesel fuel costs are fluctuating more than gas prices are. At times the diesel costs a lot more than gas which is crazy because making diesel is less costly than making gas!! :confused2:

:cool2:

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have had both,,, my old 91 Dodge has that 5.9 Cummings,,, a very good motor,, but at 130,000 the injector pump and fuel pump needed replacing,,, the Cummings dealer in Gary had over 3K in it in just a little while,,, lol,,, I still have it sitting as a yard ornament with 148,000 on it....It was good on fuel,,14 mpg with a truck camper and pulling a boat,,,, my Ford 250 with that gas 5.4 Triton gets about 9 doing the same work,,, it gets 14 empty.

Diesel fuel is always higher than gas in the winter,, it has something to do with home heating oil use,,,,in the summer it is cheaper than gasoline.

Cost wise,, I could not justify buying a used diesel pickup,,,, they were about 5 thousand higher than a gas job.....It will take me a long time to realize any savings if any,,, because that savings is just the difference between 9 and 14mpg on trips,,,,,yes they last longer than a gas motor,,,,, but the rest of the truck won't last any longer and that includes the automatic transmission or clutches,,,,Plus when a truck of mine has 150 thousand or so on it,,, it is just a beater,,,, the body will have rust,, and numerous scratches and dents,,,

This 2000 Ford I bought 3 years ago out of NJ has rust coming threw the edges of the rear wheel wells,, it had 72k on it when I bought it,,, it has 107,000 on it now,,, hey on social security and all those hospital visits I did,,, it did not get many miles put on it

Then last years 4 dollar a gallon gas convinced me to get that Mazda,,,, the payments and it's gas was less than just the gas for that 3/4 ton Ford... now it has about 10,000 miles that I put on it and I got it last year in August... 24 to 32 mpg is what that Mazda 5 gets,,, I love it.

Get what you need,,, and not any extra,,, as those extras cost anymore.

You know Ford, GMC or Dodge are not ashamed to ask 50 thousand for a diesel 1 ton anymore,,,, you can have a rental property or two for that same money,,,, and it might increase in value,,,,, the old pickup is just going to go from 50 thousand to scrap value in about 15 years,,,, lol lol,, the rental property should increase in value,,,,and have paid for itself....,

Just My Humble Opinion.

OhNo

10. jkm4874ford

jkm4874ford New Member

State:
    Bowling Green,
    Diesel trucks are made to work. A diesel motor is most effiecent when up to temp and stay there. The skip and a jump trips are extra hard on them. As far as a Friday night cruser not good either.

They are awesome for work and torque. Yes they will out perform and get much better fuel economy than gas when working. Much more expensive to maintain properly. You do go longer between oil changes.

My son has been running hot shots with a dodge. He has had a 3 cars onboard getting 12 MPH pulling 10 length on a F250 pulling a horse trailer into Cinncinatti. Do that with a gas job.

Depends on what it will be used for.

11. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj
    believe it or not the ford triton v-10 will pretty much go toe to toe with the diesels today. your going to get a few less miles per gallon but we you factor in all the other costs your still saving money. I know almost all of the construction companies, townships and contractors have gone to the v-10 and those trucks get worked.

12. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    The V-10 is not even close. NOWHERE NEAR THE TORQUE. I have had several diesels and gasoline engines over the years. I woud have to say that the diesel will out perform the gasoline for MOST purposes.
    ONE- diesels are more efficient because the fuel has more energy (BTU's)
    TWO- diesel engines will commonly get over 300k miles on the engine.
    THREE- in the worst case scenario, you can make your own fuel. I have never seen home made gasoline, but anyone with the will to can make bio-diesel

Diesel engines are more expensive upfront, but you get more out of them.
    They are DIFFERENT to work on, that makes them more expensive. The parts are bigger and heavier due to the COMMERCIAL background of diesels. Services cost more because there's more oil in oil pan, more ATF in the transmissions, and they have larger cooling systems.

It is true that diesels are more efficient when warm, and it is bad to use them hard without being warmed up. You need warm oil flowing around the turbo bearings.

13. BajaCoop

BajaCoop Well-Known Member

State:
    Poplar Bluff,MO
    You need to look at how many miles per year of towing you will do per year and crunch the numbers to see if the mileage increase will make up for the increased upfront cost and higher cost to maintain it. Of course this is assuming that what you are towing can be towed with a gasser.

14. 320hotrod

320hotrod New Member

State:
    KCMO
    Like some said, it's all about the use. I use my gas truck for day to day hauling and local fishing trips, but when it comes to long hauls, runs to Canada or Alaska with a bed camper, set the cruise on the Superduty and let'er go, hills or not. I don't know about Jeff's Dodge on that trade in value, but from what I've seen and experienced, diesel's hold much more value for longer than gas. The '03 Superduty my father had kept chucking it's egr valve in Alaska a few years back, so he traded it in Anchorage for a new '06 and they gave him $32,000 with 36,000 miles on it. Course the new one stickered at $46,000+......

15. brownie525

brownie525 New Member

State:
    Nj

you havent driven one of the new ones then they will pull what ever the diesel will maybe not as fast but it will do it.