DIESEL OUTBOARD ENGINES

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by chambers bd, Feb 25, 2008.

1. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Hi Folks
    I wonder do they make diesel outboard motors for boats, would that motor run on biodiesel? I know you can get inboards but I cant recall ever seeing a Diesel outboard.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I do know that they toyed with some several years ago that ran on kerosene

3. rcjoyner

rcjoyner New Member

State:
    tn
    Back in Jan of 2000 I was in Sydney Australia for a week. ALL the water taxies on Sydney Harbour ran twin 40 hp. Yamaha diesels.

I asked one of the drivers about them and he said, "we run 24-7 wideopen around the clock and they are the ONLY engines that will hold up."

When I say ALL the taxies I mean ALL of them had Yamahas.

rcjoyner

4. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Yanmar made diesel outboards,now discontinued.Yamaha does still I think.Not for sale in the US.There were some cheap Chinese Air cooled belt driven for sale on the internet a few years back.Late 50's to early 60's 4 cycle gas & diesel engines were sold,but never popular.I believe the military did use one with a pump drive that will burn most anything,but was not available to the public

I checked into and almost bought a OMC kerosene work motor.18 and 40 hp I believe in the 80's.They had made them for years and were popular up the Amazon,Congo and such.Kerosene does not evaporate like gas.You can store it for years,pour it off of the water it floats on,strain it and go.It also did not gum up a carb when setting for long periods as bad as gas.In fact folks used to store a gas motor carb in kerosene for long periods to keep it from gumming up.Also soaking one in kerosene without disassembling would cut the gum at times and save your tail.

Some of those Amazon Indians and Congo Natives weren't completely stupid.They would often power hundreds of miles up the rivers and drift back with the current.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

5. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Woah, I was just thinking about this earlier in the week. Great minds think alike!!!! I imagine the biggest issue against this would be the weight of the motors. Diesel engines in general tend to weigh more because they have to be built heavier duty (more compression to blow things apart). Because of the torque of diesel engines, you could probly run a heck of a prop on them, but then you need a beefed up lower unit (adding more weight). Diesels are probably not cost effective for outboards because you would spend twice as much for a diesel as you would a gas outboard, and outboard motors are expensive enough!!! I do however love the idea of it, and it would be worth it for a commercial user from a longevity standpoint.

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    For those interested,look up "THE BOB DRIVE" on line.It is a FAO document for installing a small liftable propulsion system in small boats for beaching.It is made for the small low hp air cooled diesel engines to be installed in slow speed displacement hulls.

Union Camp once had the worlds largest paper mill in Savannah Georgia when I worked there.They had a lagoon that they pumped their waste water to until they got it to meet Government specs.They had a air cooled diesel engine installed in a boat for it.I looked at it new before installation.The air cooling I was told was because of the lagoons warm water areas that were not suitable for engine cooling.If I remember right it was 20 HP.I do not remember the make.It was a standard inboard installation other than being Air cooled.

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    That is an interesting concept, I have never even heard of any type of "small" engine that was diesel. I wonder why?

8. chambers bd

chambers bd New Member

State:
    Sautee,Geo
    Iwas issued a dieselgenerato in the gulf it was great, DUETZ

9. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    You have been around them and just did not know it.My Aunt and Uncle had a air cooled Diesel engine driven generator mounted in the side of their "Grey Hound Bus" size/type RV back in 1979.It operated off of the RV's engine fuel tanks and let the RV be completely self contained.It was VERY QUIET too.

10. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD

Duetz makes awesome diesels. There are a lot of them used for irrigation on farms around here. Many of them have MANY TENS of Thousands of hours of them.

11. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    I've worked on some deutz diesels that are in wood chippers. good engines, and they don't have an injection pump like most mechanical diesels. The pump cam and delivery valves are block mounted in the crankcase. less to wear out and mess up. I've also seen yanmar diesels that are one cylinder and are used on walk behind rollers for paving roads. neat little engines.

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    We had a Chevette diesel in about 1980.
    Ran great. I just couldn't keep starters in it.