Diesel Fuel

Discussion in '4X4 Truck Talk and Repairs' started by Creteus, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    Whats the deal here???? You pay more for high octane gas, so why am I paying more for 40 octane than 93? Got a bio place down the road and its only a penny cheaper. 3 years ago it cost me 50 bucks for a tank, now 125:eek:oooh:. That lasts only 2 days. i know thats petty to all you owner operaters, but for a small construction guy, well, I'm working for fuel.

2. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Crazy aint it? Especially since diesel is a byproduct from making gasoline. Its the ole law of supply and demand, diesel powered personal trucks and suv's are the rage of late, hence you use and want more so they charge more. Crude at $110.00 a barrel aint helpin either.
    As for the OTR Owner/Operators, my brother in law owns 2 trucks and had 2 drivers running for him. He had to let one go and start driving again for himself, it was either that or get a another job to help subsidize his trucking business fuel bill. If things dont let up, he may have to get out all together. He has plenty of business, more than he can run, but it will be fuel cost that will run him out. It makes up that huge of portion of his overhead costs.

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Have to do like the rest of us. Drive to get better fuel millage. And do stuff to improve MPG other then trying to get more HP and faster.
    I may had a Hydrogen cell to my Duramax in a month or so. Also plan on trying to make my own Bio diesel also. The bad part about Diesel now. There shipping way to much to China. So we have to pay more for it.
    They clam 15 ot 40% better MPG.
    remember the post the other day were you were talking about boosting your truck? To burn more rubber and such? Time to think the other way now.
    Also do what everyone else is doing pass the cost of fuel on down the line. Its that or go broke. Or buy a small truck that gets better millage.

Pete

4. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I actually get better mileage with the upgrades, but send the emissions out the roof in my "fun truck", but whats killing me is the 5500 topkick work truck that i drive daily, 8 miles to the gallon stock pullin 14k all day. Whats this hydrogen cell you speak of? Bout ten percent of me is curious for the mileage and 90 percent of me power:embarassed:. i've heard of hydrogen cells but where would you get them filled?

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    You have a Pm.

6. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Oh secret stuff ----------- let us all know.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    If i told you I would have to kill you.

8. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    I bought a brand new car to drive. I save twice as much money a month as what the payment is. I only thought it hurt to put in $75 in the tank to fill my diesel, now $100 wont fill it. by the way I am not 100% certain but i believe diesel is not a byproduct of making gasoline but less refined. propane is the by product from gasoline production. Not trying to ruffle any feathers but I would like to know for sure. great discussion!!!

9. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Well it didnt take long, the brother in law gave up his business, trucks, trailers, and drivers. He had no choice, fuel $ killed him. He ended up in chapter 13 bankruptcy, had to give up his boat but got to keep his home and vehicles. It really humbled him. Sad situation to be in.

10. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Barry that is terrible to hear. What is itr going to take for our govt to see we are all falling due to this "oil crisis" and yet oil companies are braggig record profits

11. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Here ya go. Guess we are both wrong, or are we both right? :eek:oooh::smile2:

1. How is diesel fuel made?
      Crude oil that is pumped out of the ground is composed of thousands of different hydrocarbon compounds - compounds composed of carbon and hydrocarbon. The carbon atoms link together in chains of different lengths, shapes and sizes. Each individual chain length or molecular size has different properties including progressively higher boiling points, so they can be separated by boiling point or distillation.
      Distillation is the first major process at an oil refinery. As the crude oil is heated, different hydrocarbon compounds are separated by their boiling temperatures. The lightest components such as ethane and propane come off the top of the distillation tower. The next components, called naphtha, are used for making gasoline.
      The next heavier portion of crude oil coming from the distillation tower is used to make diesel fuel. Diesel fuel contains larger hydrocarbon molecules, with more carbon atoms than gasoline. Simple distillation does not produce enough gasoline and diesel fuel, so heavier fractions of crude oil are broken into smaller compounds by thermal or catalytic cracking, or hydrocracking, to produce higher volumes of gasoline and diesel fuel. To lower the level of sulphur in the fuel, some of these fractions may be hydrotreated - a refinery process that reacts a fraction of crude oil with hydrogen at high temperature and pressure, in the presence of a catalyst, to improve colour and odour, and reduce sulphur content. Various component streams are blended to meet the required diesel fuel specifications.
    2. What is the difference between diesel fuel and gasoline?
      Diesel fuel differs from gasoline in several ways. Diesel fuel is heavier and "oilier" than gasoline. It evaporates much more slowly because it is composed of larger hydrocarbon molecules, which have higher boiling points, typically 150 °C to 370 °C.

12. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Figure 1. Products Made from a Barrel of Crude Oil (Gallon)
    [​IMG]

13. elalr

elalr New Member

State:
    warsaw missouri
    Thanks for the info . This is always a hot topic with all my buddies. we are all diesel fanatics.

14. Wabash River Bear

State:
    Indiana
    Well if ya look at what lil percentage (7.8%) of diesel comes from a barrel of crude, add in the new demands for lo sulfur diesel, then add in the rising demand for # 2 worldwide, and ya kinda see why diesel is higher than gasoline.

15. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Big Oil company's, and foreigen oil.

I say let them EAT it!
    They pay less than a dollar for their gallon of gas.
    I'll walk or ride a bicycle if I have too:angry:

16. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Back when Diesel was .30 a gallon,I was told it was a by product ,in fact the first cut of making gasoline.:big_smile: now I saw on ABC nightly news its a complicated process ,thats why its higher :angry:I think that fuel oil and diesel are being interchanged and it is making the oil CO's greedyIf you turn Barry's graph upside down,You will see something'

17. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Crazy gas prices are going to keep going up

18. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    I'll tell you what pisses me off. I called a bio company yesterday to see what their B-100 price is per gallon. Now if you don't know much about bio-diesel the "B" is the bio and the number is the percent thats mixed with regular diesel. Now B-100 is 100% bio. Its said that it costs about 60 cents a gallon to make it. I'll give them a buck just for good measures. So I called and asked what the price was and they informed me that they had none right now but they did have B-20 in stock and it was $4.09 a gallon, which is understandable since its mainly diesel. So I asked him when they would be making B-100 and how much per gallon it would be. He said it would be another month and it'll be the same price as the 20. What a rip-off, they don't have to mix that with anything. Thats $3.09 per gallon strait profit, minus taxes. Theres no hope other than making your own fuel, but with the government building all of these bio plants across the nation how long will the common folks just be able to go get oil from the resturants.

19. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    Hey Matt The big bio desiel makers dont use cooking oil. They buy the soybean oil and other bio oils straight from the processors. There isnt enough cooking oil available to do them any good.

Soybean oil right now is 60 dollars per hundred lbs.. So if you figure 8 lbs per gallon that would figure out to 4.80 per gallon of raw product. So it is obvious that they are buying the oil a little cheaper than the board price. if it cost .60 cents to make a gallon of bio diesel they arent making much money right now. Most Bio diesel plants are operating at a significant loss right now. with out the government tax credits they would have quit along time ago. If you noticed I didnt say government subsides. I said tax credits, and the tax credits go the the fuel blender, IE the oil companies. The same thing with government tax credits on ethanol. They go to the blender , IE the oil companies. So you see the big circle of tax dollars still go to the big guys.

20. Creteus

Creteus New Member

State:
    Loganville, GA
    They pick up waste oil on a large scale. Got a pile of trucks I hear. Theres another company that pulls oil from fast food thats making bio now. Their name is Griffin and all their oil is waste. Talked to the driver and he said prices were just a few cents under diesel. They sell the leftover soap as well. Thats what makes me mad is they are using WVO. WVO is free the .60c is the cost of the chemicals involved in the process.