did'nt catch nothinn

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by BIGcatjakeJR, Jun 29, 2008.

1. BIGcatjakeJR

BIGcatjakeJR New Member

State:
    ohio
    me and my dad went down kokosing lake for some catfish we headed down to the dam we got there around 4:30.we walk down ankle breakers to get to the water thew out some chad and worms and we waited 45 min.did not get a single bait then we headed down to knox went to the marina to catch some chad caught a couple of them.Sinced it rain like crazy we thought knox lake rd.would be good..We got there at 6:25 and stayed there for 4 hrs. did not get a bite....................i got a qeustion is it bc the spawing behaviors.......PLEASE NEED INFO:embarassed:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Could be the spawn, but depending on where you are the spawn may have already taken place. We went to the river last night and didnt get squat either, I think it had alot to do with an approaching storm, we didnt stick it out to see if they turned on afterwards, just stick with it, you will catch a bunch eventually..:wink:

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,this weather can screw them all up.one moment it is hot and the next it is a cold rain,the barometer has got to be jumpin like a kitty with fleas.

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    last year we got no rain, this year to much rain...lets hope it lets up by the fall.-+

5. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well bro, if it makes you feel any better..... we caught 8 fish tonight in a local tournament, and no flatheads! One run on live bait, which was dropped before picking the rod up.... I'm sure if you are in the right place at the right time, you can catch a few...But, they are on spawn here as well and the fishing has been tough for the last few weeks.... they will come back around, just give em some time! rollo

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The catfish spawn greatly effects the bite. The large males are busy protecting the nest, while the females recooperate from the stress of the egg laying. Its not impossible to catch fish during this time, but you typically have to put the bait right in front of them and they are not that aggressive. This translates into move often and don't expect to catch more than 1 or 2 fish out of the same hole

7. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey Justin, I was at Knox Friday night/Sat. morning, all night (from about 10:30 until 5:30), at Old Mansfield Rd and had one - ONE - decent bite all night, and even then I think it was a carp... had my pole tip in the water, but lost him cuz my drag was too tight and I was too thrilled about getting a bit3 to think about it...

8. slowboat

slowboat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If it were me I would blame your dad lol...sb

9. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    we were out from about 7 pm till 3:30 am last nite, i had one short run on cut shad and my buddy caught a 10 or so lb flat that was it for the night was 4 of us fishing its just slow right now :confused2:

10. elizabuilt

elizabuilt New Member

State:
    Norton, OH
    I think its the rain. Water is almost 80 degrees and I'm imagining the spawn is almost over.

11. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Channel Cats can be caught in abundance even during the spawn .... the problem is that you normally won't find them, during the spawn, where you will the rest of the year .... SO your problem is to find where they are spawning ..... then things should happen. As an example ....While fishing in Florida for many years the channels could be found day in and day out in this one area of a channel which was 18 to 20 feet deep .... I discovered that during the spawn they moved about 20 to 25 feet in closer to shore in about 6 feet of water and that I had a hard time catching them on the bottom ... but when I put a bobber on and fished about 2 feet below the surface, I caught one on every cast. That was about 15 years ago and I found the same pattern held true untill I moved from there last year. So do a little scouting around ... try different water depth and nearer to shore and different habitats ...... Garry-

12. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    He did!!! But who carried the bait bucket that weighed a tad bit over 2 tons by the time we walked 1/2 mile then down a slope that mountain climbers would not descend without a belay. But who cares we got a line wet.