Did you smell that?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by unclebuncle, Apr 12, 2009.

1. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Wow did you get a whiff of that dead skunk on the road?Or that jar of shad guts or the dirty diaper?How about a rotten bean fart?Wish I could smell them I miss it.Might sound strange but its true I miss it.A few years ago I had sinus surgery and have not had any sinus problems since but I completely lost my sense of smell.Yesterday I stuck my nose in a jar of magic dip bait and didnt smell a thing but my daughter was gagging.This may sound like a blessing and in a way it is but I also miss the good smells.I can't smell fresh cinnamon rolls hot out of the oven or steaks simmering on grill or flowers blooming.Also cant smell dangerous things like gas so that could be a problem.I really miss food smells and my appetite went downhill too.All together though it was a good trade off.:smile2:

2. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    My Dad has that problem. Aggravates him no end.

3. Waterbug

Waterbug New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    That's really interesting; I never knew that a person could loose their sense of smell. If it's not too forward; do you mind me asking: has this affected your ability to taste foods?

4. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Oh yeah I find myself putting lots more spices on food to make it taste better.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Ray, my brother can't smell a thing either. Hope that magic bait caught you some catfish!

6. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Not yet Shane but I'm trying guess the fish cant smell either.

7. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Don't think I've ever heard of that before. Could be dangerous if one had a natural gas leak. I still can smell and see enough that glasses aren't required for driving license but my hearing don't work so good.

8. cheapNdisgusting

cheapNdisgusting Well-Known Member Supporting Member Supporting Member

State:
    Yonder in Mo.
    Name:
    Russ
    But she lost the ability to smell anything when she was a kid, crashing her bike and hitting her head. Her parents never knew because she was afraid to tell them because they would have taken her bike away. She was riding it when she wasn't supposed to. Her ability to taste things is about 1/2.

This creates a BIG problem for me. She says things like "Taste this - is it still good?" I've tasted and smelled things for her that were pretty disgusting. The BRIGHT point for me is I never get yelled at for farting if it is a quiet one.

Olefin; All kidding aside, it is dangerous. We became smoke detector freaks. Got them all over the house.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

My dad, who had Parkinson's disease, lost his ability to smell.

Always thought it was odd it never affected his sense of taste, or so he said anyhow.

However, here is something I discovered once upon a time.....(perhaps y'all already know this). If you can't TASTE, such as when you have a bad cold.... as you are chewing your food, breathe in through your nose at the same time (if ya can). You'll be able to taste it at least partially. Works for me anyhow. :smile2:

10. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I got a good bang in the head about 10 years ago. It affected my smell a little and I couldn't taste anything for a long time. Gradually the taste came back, I reckon the smell did too, but don't seem to be as distinct. I would get cross eyed but I didn't see two images on a horizontal plane, I would see em vertically. Usually happened when I got tired, after driving too long.

11. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    You know Ray, my last girlfriend could'nt smell and lost alot of her taste also, so the old dutch oven trick did'nt work on her, and boy I'll tell you what, I was happy she never had to endure them, wheeeeeeew buddy!:embarassed: She used to get aggrevated when she could'nt taste certain things she used to love:eek:oooh: Do you ever get angry about it?

12. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Can't say I get angry because I'm glad I dont have sinus headaches anymore.But I sure do miss certain smells.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'll bet you can remember smells in your dreams. Can or have you ever done this Ray? This is a very interesting subject and I feel for you. Thanks for being so candid.:wink:

14. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Sometimes my wife wishes she couldn't smell..... It might keep her from having to leave the room sometimes....:eek:oooh:

15. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Did you know they also make CO detectors that also detect gas?

16. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    several years ago had to have sinus surgery. It hasn't affected his smell however,when Gracey Maye our Golden Retriever passes gas he sure lets her know about it!:eek:oooh::smile2:

17. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Yep, same thing to a lesser extent here,,,My sense of smells seems about 1/2.
    I'll gladly trade off a bit of sensory perception for the lack of headaches that would just absolutely Flatten me..not to mention sinus infections that had me eating anti-biotics like breakfast cereal....

18. unclebuncle

unclebuncle New Member

State:
    Humboldt,K
    Thats what I had going on and doc went in with roto rooter and cleaned everything out.No problems in years except I cant smell the bucket of fish carcasses that I forgot to dump a couple of days ago til the kids remind me.