Did you know ?

Discussion in 'Carolina Catfish Club' started by Mac-b, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    The information I am going to present was gather by the NC and SC wildlife biologists and I thank them for this useful information.

SC (Santee Cooper only) has one catfish limit for Ark. Blues over 36 inches per day and NC has a limit of one over 32 inches for Lake Norman and Badin Lake per day. The approximate age of a 36 inch blue on Santee is 13 years and the 32 inch blue on LKN and BL is 10 to 11 years old. The 36 inch blue on Santee weighs approximately 24+ pounds and the 32 inch blue on LKN is approx. 14 to 15 pounds and a tad larger on Badin.

Blues in both SC and NC eat mussels, grass, snails, crayfish, dead and live bait fish, plus anything else they can scavenge off the bottom of the lake or river. They will eat grapes, persimmons, acrons, the bones from a t-bone steak, golf balls, etc. The bulge that you see at their annus is not their bladder, it is roids from trying to excrete the mussel shells.

Per Scott Lamprecht, blue catfish are 'opportunistic' feeders and they will eat whatever food is available. In addition to the items mentioned above, he states that stomach contents of larger cats has revealed, coots, ducks, and amphiumas (type of eel).

When water temperatures reach 70 to 75 degrees (F) Ark. Blues will spawn in sheltered or cativity nest. Both sexes share in the brooding, with about 2,000 eggs laid per pound of the female. It is estimated the blues becomes sexually mature at the age of 4 to 7 years and a length of 19 to 26 inches.

Ark. Blue catfish are long lived and their growth can be quite variable. The oldest blue catfish caught on Santee Cooper weighed in at 102 pounds and had a length of 54 inches. It was estimated to be 34 years old. A 60 pound blue was caught on Badin Lake in 2008 and it was 23 years old.

The Ark. Blues found in lakes and rivers in other parts of the SouthEast have a linkage with the Santee Cooper blues.

Studies indicate that Ark. Blues cluster together as to size (weigh). Also, as the size increases in a cluster, the number of cats diminish.

In creel surveys (1998-2002) in SC (Marion and Moultrie) it has been developed that R&R fisherperson annually harvested between 95,000 and 120,000 blue catfish. This works out to be less than 1 catfish per acre, but in the Diversion Canal the harvest rate was about 100 cats per acre.

All studies done to date in NC and SC indicate that the 4 to 7 year old blues should be harvested and older fish if they are in over supply.

The objectives, for the Santee Cooper Fisheries, is to maintain a high harvest level of small blues and allocate the greater portion of large blues resources to rod and reel anglers.

As of this date, there are no major objectives for Lake Norman and Badin Lake (except for the 32" daily allowance) until further study of our Ark. Blue population at both lakes mentioned.

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Thanks for posting! Thats some pretty interesting info!

Uh Oh... That will ruffle some feathers! :eek:oooh:

3. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Brian, the item that you think will ruffle some feathers is a statement from the SC DNR folks, not me. In case people do not realize it, Santee Cooper and it's catfish are a multimillion dollar business to the merchants, motels, resturants, fish camps, bait houses and suppliers, fishing guides, etc.

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    I should have been more specific, I should have said ruffle some feathers, but not mine. And I do understand that you are just repeating what was said, so even if it did get my boxers bunched up, I wouldn't jump all over you about it. You are safe here Mac!

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Very interesting information, thanks for sharing

6. bowler man

bowler man New Member

State:
    nc
    thanks for sharing that is some good info

7. BigBird

BigBird New Member

State:
    Charlotte, NC
    Good info.
    Ok Mac, I was trying to read between the lines.

"In creel surveys (1998-2002) in SC (Marion and Moultrie) it has been developed that R&R fisherperson annually harvested between 95,000 and 120,000 blue catfish. This works out to be less than 1 catfish per acre, but in the Diversion Canal the harvest rate was about 100 cats per acre. "

What does the part about the diversion canal mean to you about fishing there? Is there more people fishing there and more are caught or are there more cats per acre????
    Thanks,
    Lindsay

8. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    mot more people fishing just so much smaller area for the numbers of people fishing it and also the people fishing there are very concentrated and more easily surveyed unlike the lakes that have vast boat landing options which make surveys very difficult.

9. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Thanks Mac! I fish Santee more than any other lake and always wondered how there always seemed to be plenty of fish. I am glad for the restriction (36") for blues. I CPR mine with hopes of catching them again........when they are bigger.