Did You Know?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by whisker maniac, Apr 26, 2008.

1. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    The BOC has really been blessed with many more members this year and we welcome each and everyone. I know by reading the posts that we have as many new members that are great catfishermen and we also have several that are just starting to fish for catfish and are learning and asking many many questions. So this is why I decided to start this thread. We all learn from each other everyday on these posts so let's continue learning. What I propose is that we list special things that we know about the catfish. After all if you don't know your quarry it is harder to catch him. Please list something that you know about catfish and if it is unique to a certain breed of catfish make sure you list that too.

I'll start

Did you know that the catfishes skin is covered with 100s of thousands of taste buds all over its body and that it can taste items in the water up to 20 ft away.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hey thank you for starting this post and im like you im so happy to hear that this site keeps growing every single day and your right there is alot of new brothers that we have on here that is having some success on fishing and catching some nice ones, and there is some on here thats asking questions and are really interested in learning of this sport that we call catfishing, there is no funner fish to me personally to catch than a catfish and there great eating, have you all ever noticed to that you can catch more channel catfish in creek streams and creek arms that runs into the lake.

3. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Kevin, I agree. Its hard to believe how much the B.O.C. has grown over the years. The new members play an important role in keeping an active forum going along with the old timers. This is the key to success for the B.O.C. to continue being the best catfishing community on the planet. Welcome aboard all new members and lets hear what you have to say. :wink:

4. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    I know catfish are the best tasting fried fish I serve my family. I also know catching fish in Texas is a lot different than up north. Region and location can really make a difference in successful techniques for cat fishing..

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    The most important thing I know is CATFISHING GOES GREAT WITH BEER!!!! LOL!!!

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    the catfish has an olfactory sense system.

Catfish can detect some compounds at concentrations less then one part per million

There are taste buds not only in the mouth and gill rakers, but also on all outer surfaces: barbels, fins, tail, and skin. If a catfish touches something, it not only feels it, it tastes it too. Their sense of taste is so good that they can taste some things up to 20 feet away

Catfish smell through their nostrils where water flows over folds of sensitive tissue. In fish, the number of folds is thought to be related to how well fish smell. Channel catfish have over 140 folds, whereas rainbow trout have 18 and largemouth bass 8 to 13

7. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    I know that there is alot more vital information out there that we others could share about the catfish that alot of these guys and gals that are new to the sport need and want to know so come on guys tell us what you know.

8. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    A slip float rig is a good way to present bait to a catfish when they are suspended off of the bottom. I have found that using a float is a good way to locate fish and is a crazy fun as well. Nothing beats watching that cork go down and stay down.

9. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    channels bite is buck toothed if ya will. they have an overbite. while blues are more equal to eachother. while on the other hand the murky old flathead has an underbite. the bottow jar protrudes out past the top.

10. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Did you know that no matter how much a Channel cat eats it only pinches off three turds on average in an hour. While Flatheads and Blues wait a whole week for one big poop! lol :crazy::eek:oooh::smile2::smile2::smile2:

11. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    dang jack thats nice to know :smile2:lol

12. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    My best luck for the big flatheads has been on the bottom near brush or dams

You can put your hand in a flatheads mouth, but I wouldn't recommend it for a channel! :eek:oooh: Due to their bite as already mentioned

Catfish eat anything... including, pizza, balogna, basketballs, trash and eachother!

I am sure there are more... I like this thread though!

Welcome to all of the new members, thanks to all of the older members, and I am sooooooooo glad to be back with ya'll

Tight Lines

PS I forgot to mention that when my reel screams I jump! I know that too! :wink:

13. FlatCatMan

FlatCatMan New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I will elaborate a little more on thegavel's post about putting your hand into a catfish's mouth. A channel cats jaws are strong enough to crush mussels, a decent food source for them. Big flatheads eat live or freshly killed fish, and don't require a strong jaw like the channel cat. I have NO problems sticking my hand into the mouth of a large flathead, but have a BIG problem sticking my hand into the mouth of an channel. They don't like to let go once they get you!

14. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    THE BEST RIG FOR FISHING FOR BLUE'S IS A NO ROLL SINKER WITH AN 18" LEADER ,8/0CIRCLE HOOK,WITH A SMALL CORK ABOUT 6" UP FROM THE HOOK , AND A NICE CHUNK OF FRASH SKIPJACK:smile2::smile2:

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    Catfish use their venomous spines for defense only. When a catfish gets agitated, it extends its spines, locks them in place and waits. A frightened catfish strikes when a predator, including a human hand, comes within range.

Glands lining catfishes' sharp spines store venom. When the spine penetrates flesh, the glands rupture and venom trickles into the wound. No one knows the exact nature of catfish venom, but catfish handlers do know that it hurts like crazy.

The treatment for the pain of catfish stings is to immerse the hand or foot in hot water, then wash the wound and wait. The pain and swelling usually goes away on its own in a couple of hours to a couple of days. Catfish envenomations can sometimes cause later infections. If you get stung and have persistent symptoms, see a doctor.

16. zeboman

zeboman New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Did you know that you can increase your flathead catches by fishing closer to shore in the evenings,big flatheads prowl the shallows in search of baitfish at night.

17. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    good point Jerm. i know a guy that was filleting channel cats when he got stuck in the hand. A day or two later he was at the hospital with blood poisoning. thank goodness he didn't let it go any longer...rollo

18. derail

derail New Member

State:
    kansas
    Good thread, keep it rolling.

19. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    most people can't hear average conversational tones at 20 feet but catfisherman can hear line being peeled off their reels at over 30. (while taking care of natures little calls ... lol)

20. thegavel

thegavel New Member

State:
    West Des Moines, Iowa
    IMPORTANT!!!

While catfish stings are painful and venomous... here is the best way to cure them NO JOKE

Following being stung... clean the wound with the cleanest water possible...
    Take and rub the belly slime of the catfish on the wound...

Something in it stops the bleeding and rids it of the poison.

I have used this several times and it seems to work, might be mind over matter, but if it saves me a trip to the hospital and a few $$$ I am in!!!