Did you ever have one of these days?

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by sal_jr, Jun 7, 2006.

1. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Last night I went to Rainbow Lake to fish with a good bud of mine for crappie. The weather was FANTASTIC, save for the hoardes of mosquitoes that were trying to drill through the deet and drink as much as they could before they got disgusted with the flaavor of "OFF". Oddly enough though we realized about an hour into it that we were pretty much alone on the 7 mile long lake (one jet skier a mile off from us just revving his motor and working on it) and laughed about the fact.

In an hour and a half we both limited out on crappie- The crappie fishing was so well in fact that 45 minutes into it we had our limit live in our baskets and were trading out the smaller ones for ones over 12 inches... then ones over 13 inches... till we both had a limit of REALLY nice fish, with the largest being 16 inches.

We called it a night early so we could clean fish in daylight, and headed back to the ramp.

Upon reaching the boat ramp my buddy noticed a lime-green piece of paper stapled to the dock... where only boats that were returning could see.

The paper said that the lake had just been treated that afternoon with weed killer and that nothing should be eaten from the lake till june 10th, and that no water from the lake should come in contact with your skin till june 8th.

We were both just about in tears as we slowly dumped our gorgeous creel back in the water, ran home and hit the showers.

D'oh~!

It was just one of those days.:crazy: :crazy:

-sal

2. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    That sucks Sal!!!!

3. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    Hey, look on the bright side. What if some jerk tore down the sign before you got to see it and you took those fish home and ate them. At least you had a good day catching some fish.

4. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Well if that isn't a kick in the __ts! I think i have had nightmares like that:ah:

5. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Yeah I have to agree with Tom, at least you had a good time. Althoe it would suck having to turn them back.

6. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Holy Smokes! 16" Crappie! I sure hope you took a picture of it. That's worth a Master Angler Award in the Great State of Michigan. That sucker must have weighed over 2lbs. Not that your day hasn't been bad enough. I have to mention Master Angler Award.LOL
    Sparky

7. catseeman

catseeman New Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Look on the bright side, you caught fish . and didn't get sick from eating them. Sorry to hear about the outcome though.

8. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    think id of taken my chances and washed them good before cleaning them if they had just sprayed it would probly have been ok but all in all you probly made a good call but then again if they were still alive and in a live well couldve taken them home and kept them in the tub with fresh water added for couple hours or days or weeks :lol: sorry bout yer luck

9. borntocatfish

borntocatfish New Member

State:
    NW ohio
    I agree with copycat
    that did suck but you did catch alot

10. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Sparky,

I got two 17 inchers out of Ross lake a while back and didnt even know it would have qualified.

I let these go before taking the pics so we could go get em again one day. I was pretty quick about dumping them off when I read the note- I figured they had enough stress on their bodies with the chemicals, so I just got rid of em.

My mistake.

Come on out and Ill go get em with ya again some day... If they were biting this well ithout live bait I am sure that we can get that many bigguns again. This lake is known for its crappie.

Sal

11. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Sal,
    That sounds like a plan. I just might have to take you up on that offer. After you get back from vacation, lets put our heads together and see what happens.
    My time is getting limited! LOL
    Sparky

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    that really sucks!

13. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    To be honest sparky,

Any night during the week if you drop out to my place by 6:30, Ill be home from work and we can hit the lake till 9- giving you enough time to get home nd clean your catch by 11:30.

I clocked it- Im an hour and 22 minutes from Don's house if you use M-46. M-57 on the other hand is a long drag.

Of course, weekends are usualyl open... provided no crisis emerges.

Gimme a jinge on or after the 20th and we will just get it done.

Sal

14. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

That is the pits, Sal. I WOULD have been crying as I dumped my soon to be freshly fried batch of crappie into the water! Those are big ones in that lake. I haven't had any in so long I'm having crappie withdrawal. :sad2:

15. dreamcatcher

dreamcatcher New Member

Nice fish Sal...I'm definitely going to have to make my annual pilgrimage to that area to fish this year...

16. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Sal with your luck brother I am sure we are related some how....I fell sorry for you if we are.....LOL Man that had to suck.

17. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Man Sal, I KNOW that had to suck BIG TIME, but, at least ya got the joy of catchin instead of just fishin!!

18. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Dear Doctor Sal thanks for the crappie.I posted that note when I saw you guys having great luck through my binocs.Didn't you see my fish trap right next to the ramp?Got them all and by the way the big one will earn me a Master angler citation.Cant tell you how much I appreciate it.By the way take two crappie jigs and call me in the morning or whenever you go fishing again.DEMENTED DOC!!!!!!!!:tounge_out: :cool2: :wink: :big_smile: :lol:

19. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    sal, I Can Relate To Your Day Almost To A T. I Took My Oldest Daughter Out Fishing At Nepesing Lk In Lapeer. Shes 13 Going On 30 If You Know What I Mean, Anyways Upon Arrivel We Seen Two Guys Wearing Tyvek Suits Docking Thier Boat. One Guy Posted The Same Signs As The Ones You Seen Saying The Same Thing. I Still Took Her Fishing At A Different Lk And Had A Great Time But Talk About Bad Timing! Too Bad About Ur Crappie Bud, Theres Always Another Time.good Fishin!