Did you ever catch the same catfish twice?

Discussion in 'LOCAL ARIZONA TALK' started by Picksecky, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Did you ever catch the same fish twice. I caught 32 lb flathead last monday which had a very particular mark(scar,scrape,bite,etc)near the edge of his top fin. On Thursday, fishing in the same spot, I caught a 31 1/2 lb with the identical mark. I guess I had better hurry back to that same spot and try again. What do you think this cold weather will do to the flathead bite?.....Rick

Decided to post photos, but they may be tosmall to show detail. Luck to all!

Attached Files:

2. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    NICE FLATHEAD I WOULD LIKE TO CATCH IT ONCE.

3. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    i have caught the same catfish 3 times in one night. once on 2 diffrent rods at the same time, and then later he came back for round 2. it was really weird.

4. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    definitly looks like the same fish, I have caught the same smallmouth bass, and walleye before, but never the same cattie. I know it can be done, and you are living proof, what a great fish to catch twice!! Just shows the importance of CPR!! Great Job!

5. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona

Very good point.:big_smile:

6. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    Yea.... years ago, I had several cats in a fish pond outside to my sons bedroom window..... he could just fish from the window in the morning befoe we got up...... dam near wore that fishes mouths out catching it over and over agian....even the same day........The local raccoons finally ate em up, and now the pond is gone...... oh well thats big city fishing....

bayrunner ray

7. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That is some funny stuff right there. :smile2:

Is it for the benifit of the fishes health or for the benifit of the man being able to have fun catching it again? Here is a scenario for you. Take into account we already know the fish has lost a half pound in a week, so most likely it has not eaten due to stress. Lets go back to the first catch. It had to be hungry then. It was hunting to eat and got caught. So here is this hungry fish that gets caught and has to fight a already stated "long fight". It taxes and stresses the fish and most likely builds up lactic acid in its muscles(which can kill it). The fish is then ripped into the boat and stressed more by having lights put in its face, human hands shoved into the gills(possibly causing disease) and having its full body weight being placed on its gills. The fish is then put back into the water and is lucky to not be a floater. Stressed and scared it hides for a week to try and recover. Sooner or later as with all animals the instinct of self preservation kicks in and you have to eat too live. The fish goes to eat again and bam, it is caught and goes through the whole scenario again. The water is getting colder, the bait fish are disapearing and at a time when the flatheads should be getting fat for their winter slumber, this one is just getting skinnier. It'll be lucky if it is not a floater by the spring turnover.
    That paticular CPR was not for the benifit of the fishes health, but for the benifit of catching it again and seemingly borderline tourturing it. That fish does not seem healthy. That whole in its back looks like it had been gaffed at one time. Flatheads have white meat and only look red like that when they are freshly bleeding. Fish wounds cover up quickly with a white fleshy film that acts as a coagulant and to fight off bacteria from entering the wound(except on the gills).It has been a week and it looks like that wound is not healing(Due to still being red). It must not be healthy and will be lucky if it is not a floater by spring. If people are going to practice, preach or push CPR, then they should know how to CPR right. CPR does not include grabbing a fish out of the water by its jaw or gills or using a gaff. They have special landing nets to gently get the fish out of the water. Don't let them support their own body weight on the deck. They are not made to do this and there is special landing mats if you "have" to pull them out of the water. Do not support their body weight by the jaw or the gills. Do not cut holes in their chins to put on a stringer or a scale. Do not put the fish on a stringer or in the livewell. Don't transport it or keep it over night for photos. Release it imediately. It should be gentley landed and then photoed preferably in the water and released as quicly as possible with out touching it too much, especially around the gills, mouth or eyes. The whole point of CPR is susposed to be for the benifit of the fishes health and for future humans to catch fish and only partly for us. If you only go an inch and not the whole mile then it is not CPR. Besides the whole thing is irrelevent anyways. Even with a six year sabatical from fishing i have fished for a long time. I have been Bs'd by the best and even tried to Bs back. It is going to take more than that to fool me. Look at the picture of the smaller falthead caught last week. It isn't just the same exact clothes. The wires and water stains are exactly the same as the pic with the bigger fish this week.The water mark on his left knee on his pants is in the same exact posistion a week later. I'm not trying to be mean or rude. Just honest. If you are going to try and BS me then you'll need to do a better job of it. If people are going to practice,preach and push CPR, then it should be real and done right. Not someones own version of CPR just to hop on the band wagon or to try and make people that CPR/selectively harvest feel wrong for what they do and change thier ways. I would feel better about dispatching a wounded flathead and making sure it is ate than to throw a starving, wounded, possibly future floater back into the water to be wasted. JMO

8. GMC FishHauler

GMC FishHauler New Member

State:
    Waco, Texas, Un
    i caught the same "parrot mouth" channel cat 2 times in one day. This fish is the only one i seen with that dramatic of an underbite.

9. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    That is a nice fish.... Again...
    I have pulled in flats with leaders hanging out of their mouths from fish that broke off earlier in the night.

Good job!!!!!:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

10. Picksecky

Picksecky New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Hey Da Chummer.............thanks for the critique of my posting. You made a lot of good points about catch and release and fish wounds. These all may be true, but since I'm not an expert, I'll have to take your word for it. What I don't understand is why you think I'm trying to BS anybody. I have no reason and nothing to gain by trying to fool people. You are right about the same clothes, etc. in earlier picture. I caught five fish Monday night and that
    was another one of them. I'm sorry that you got so obviously "worked up" about this. I think I'll probably quit posting and just enjoy reading the B.O.C.
    There are way too many flathead fisherman out there anymore and I'll need to protect my favorite spots. You said you took a sabatical from fishing, if you
    are back at, I wish you the best of luck.

11. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I wrote that i did not mean to sound rude and apologize if you take it that way. You have nothing to gain. There is no glory is catfishing. No one cares about it but us and the only thing i am a expert at is getting skunked. I do happen to get lucky sometimes though. If i am wrong it won't be the first and surely won't be the last and have no problem apologizing.
    I was calling it a "fishing story"(which we can all be accused of) to promote and prove CPR and i do not believe it. It can't be said it is proof of CPR. Only time will tell that. I was only debating not looking to offend or get in a argument. I would never want you to leave this forum because of me. You actually have a raport here and i am a newbie. I would rather leave first. Good luck and i hope you catch it a third time.

12. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    No need to quit posting i feel you have done nothing wrong i mean what did you know going back out that you were going to catch that same one again and if you caught that fish again it was going to harm it. Probably not! and if i remember right Da Chummer just posted pics of a monster flattie that was not cpr'ed I am not trying to get anything started but i don't think you was trying to BS anyone . JMO

13. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    very good points being made Chummer, you have to know how to take care of a fish for it to survive your release, other way you may as well take it home to eat. Unfortunatly there are a lot of guys out there who don't properly release the fish and end up dead anyway.

But I also think there is no need to leave the forum or stop posting. it is easy for some people to pretend to be something they are not while on the computer and tell stories, specially fisherman, right guys? :smile2:so keep the good stories comming and if it walks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then ... you know the rest. Hey Picksecky, I don't mean anything by this ok.

I personally keep fish to eat once in a while, if it is as big as a dinner plate I will keep it, when I am invited to fish on someone's boat I do what they do, if they keep fish I keep them, if not I release also.

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    if someone leaves because of a stuped post that was made then to me that is stuped. while i don't think chummer ment to upset people, i know it kinda got me upset until i thought about it and decided it just wasn't a well thought out one.at least on how some people might percive it.
    catfish are almost the hardiest of the freshwater fish and can put up with a lot. i've had them in trunk of car for hrs (in nevada heat) taken home, thrown in tub of water and week later they are still swimming.
    sorry i'm going on like this, but next the someone lecturing me on C&R, the lecture for CPR is my next worst peave.
    gary

15. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    Hey man where's the love?:beauty:We all have good and bad posts--share your knowledge, listen and take what you can from it and leave the rest. Not all info is meant for or is directed to all of us. Nobodies leaving--I would miss you all too much:too_sad:.

Bait your hook, cast it out:0a23:, set the clicker, pop open a beer or 6:dribble:, set the hook, and then come back here and tell the lie--I mean story-- we all want to hear it, no matter true or not. We live for this stuff. Good or bad, that is why we are here now and forever! Long live the catfisherman!!!!:wink::wink:

16. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I do not see anywhere that i said a fish couldn't be caught twice or more times. I have caught bluegills with scars where you can see they were used for bait before. I've also caught Flatheads with jewlery left in their mouths from people using inadequate tackle.

17. Da Chummer

Da Chummer New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Gary, that was the whole point of my post. Everybody preaches C&R and CPR to me and it gets old. But when i preach back about the preachers not practicing thier own
    sermons in the right way i become the bad guy. When i catch a fish and CPR it, i do alot of the things that i said should not be done, but then again i am not constantly preaching or PMing CPR to people. I truly believe that if you spend the money, take the time to learn and put in your time, that if you catch a Flathead it is up to the fisherman that caught it to determine what he wants to do with the fish. We should all know inside of us what is wrong and right. If it feels wrong don't do it, If it feels right, go with it. Fishing for Flatheads is getting skunked the majority of the time. So if you can catch one and want to eat it, whats wrong with that? I have kept two fish in ten years and i get bombarded with CPR. I found it irritating and un-needed. I probably should not of used this post to point that out and that is my fault. I made the decision and now i'll live with it. That is all any of us can do.

18. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    travis, sent you a PM. i've already gone by this subject.
    gary

19. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    gotta ask. where in the heck is cow patty cove? middle of some pasture? :smile2:
    gary

20. AZflats

AZflats New Member

State:
    Peoria, Arizona
    OKEY DOKEY :wink: