Did Tn make catfish a game fish?

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by ShilohRed, Oct 22, 2007.

1. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Look at this page
    http://tn.gov/sos/pub/proclamations/07-01.pdf
    Then
    4 section XV Special Definitions
    A GAME FISH
    Add
    Family-Lctaluridae
    Blue catfish lctaurus furcatus
    channel catfish lctaurus punctatus
    flathead catfish Pylodictis olivaris
    Bullhead catfish Ameiurus SP

Proclamation 07-01 received and recorded this 30th day of may, 2007; to be effective June 29, 2007.
    (FS 0525-07, DBID 07-01

Pete

2. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I don't guess it matters to much because you can still net them by the hundreds and sell them to pay ponds. But maybe this is a step to banning netting.

3. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Jeepers Pete it sure seems to read that way and if it did that is FANTASTIC.Every state that does this then becomes an "Example" for states that might be contemplating similiar action.Plus the catfisher folks in a given state can cite this as evidence for their own efforts.I sure hope the NC/SC members see this and begin using it in their discussions with the wildlife authorities.I have always said in our sometimes heated debates about CPR on here that this is the surest way to provide catfish for the future,protect the trophys and make the laws equitable for all fishing methods including commercial,jugs trotlines etc.Having an enforceable limit is the way all other gamefish are managed and its way past time for catfish to join the ranks.Tennesee,Missouri and some other states are showing the way for others.Even SC has come to its senses with the one Blue over 34 inches law on Santee.Some said that could never be done but it was.Catfishing, after a slow tournament start, has now grown by leaps and bounds.How many BOCsters remember how we used to wish for a catfishing magazine and viable tournament trails.Look at how far we have come in less than 10 years.Congratulations to Tenn and all that worked to get this law passed.:smile2::big_smile:

4. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Well, they haven't stop the wholesale slaughter of catfish but, it is a step in the right direction anyway. Thanks for the report Pete!!

5. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Guys it has to start somewhere. And if they did get this through. It is the next step.
    Do you think Bass, Crappie and others were easy to get limits set and made a game fish? If is is right. Then its what I was hearing about back in the spring. Turn catfish into a game fish. Then they can control the limits and such better.

Also I would be for a limit on the big fish like we have and say a nice limit where someone that would like to have a fish fry can still catch them.
    But stop the commercial sales of big fish that needs to be first on the list and then work around the rest to get it working.
    Theres lots of boats from Ms that fish the river here. And they even brag about catching 100's of pounds a day or more and then selling them to people . Now the TWRA needs to stop this. If they are legal that is fine. but These guys are catching them with rod & Reel and then selling them in Ms.

Pete

6. wannafish

wannafish New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    It is good to hear!!!!!!!

7. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Well I must say all of this is quite encouraging. And it is a big step considering how they are usually looked upon.

8. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Received this from The TWRA

"Yes Pete, the Tennessee Wildlife Resources Commission made catfish a sport fish this past January. Unfortunately that classification change did not afford them any additional protection. Catfish are still listed as a commercial species (they are now listed as both a sport and commercial species) and commercial fishers are allowed to keep one big catfish per day."

So now there a Sport fish and then there still a Commercial fish also. But at least them being a game fish is the start. The commercial guys can't hold for for ever.
    Pete

9. vaccouple

vaccouple New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    not sure if it is a gamefish yet but the 34 inch rule and the others are so we kept and hope produce more big fish

10. dinger66

dinger66 New Member

State:
    north alabama
    ok to start off not all of us from mississippi are bad guys, i do think commercial fishing is a bad thing and there need to be limits on even guys with rod and reels takeing large numbers of fish.i love the sport of catfishing as much if not more than most.korny but my first word was fish so please dont judge miss people because of a few bad ones and i know that wasnt the intent ,that is why i like this board it is time that we as a group stand up for the so called trash fish catfish to protect a hard fighting hard to find and smarter than most fisherman fish.keep up the fight to prove catfish should be protected!

11. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Your right .
    Not judging you, Just the ones that fish each and every day and then sell there catch to the restaurants and other people. Not saying every one from Ms is doing it. but we have the same ones here all the time. And they even brag about doing it.
    Theres even some that have campers and river lots below the dam. And they fish for 5 days hard then haul 500 lbs of cleaned fish to ms. You know they are not eating that many each week for 9 months of the year.
    Sorry I did not write this to look bad on your on others from any state. but just to say what is happening.
    So if your not fishing every day and then bragging about selling them your not the ones I was talking about.

Also vaccouple if you read the post above yours. That is a e-mail I received from the Fish and wildlife department. And Yes catfish are a game fish in Tn now. Just taking time to get the commercial guys off the fish.
    Petet