Did "ok" with my lines today

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by osageCo_flathead, Apr 16, 2007.

1. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I caught 3 really nice sized channels (5-7, and 10 pounds)....But...My pal told me he tied the knot wrong on a jug we had by a rock bluff...we said after baiting we would go back and re-tie the hook...ooops....we forgot... and something of a nice size must have been on it b4 pulling the hook off the line because he knocked a large rock off in the water that was under the line which was tied to a tree to anchor the jug ....MAN...well you guys can feel my frustration I'm sure....

2. catdaddy007

catdaddy007 Member

State:
    SE Arkansas
    It'll happen every time.Hey,at least you know where he's at now.

3. RebelMan

RebelMan Guest

Hey atleast you got diner!

4. bigcat_chaser

bigcat_chaser New Member

State:
    Cincy, Ohio
    Well the big'uns got to get away sometimes other wise what kinda stories would we have to tell right LoL I feel your pain sure hate to lose the real nice ones, better luck next time and I would be willing to bet you double check those knots from here on out.

5. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    I don't understand what kind of fishing your doing? I'm not saying anything bad or anything of the sort but we hav't heard of that kind of "fishing" around here? Just kinda sound unfair to me if your not using a rod/reel combo? Is is leagal? I dunno I'm jusk simply asking cause it's all new to me. Is this those "trot-lines" you speak of? If so then they are illegal up here in Pa. (except for snapping turtles I think..lol)

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Jay, I think it is all in what your after. If you are a meat fisherman, fishing for the freezer or a fish fry, trot lines are one way to go. In the states where they are legal they do produce a large amount of fish. However, it is not all grins and chuckles. When you bait out 100 hooks (which we are allowed in Oklahoma), and you run your line three or four times a day, you are going to need a lot of bait. Now you can fork out the cash for that, but it is down right expensive, and you can fish for perch and that takes a while to get just your initial bait, plus you have got to have replacements. Rod and reel fishing is generally fun and relaxing... trot lining is just flat out work. AND, I might add, a lot of the trot liners do CPR also and are after the photo's and fun. They are a strange breed. I'd encourage you to not look down your nose at them or at the people who jug line, or even noodle. It is just another means of fishing, a sport most of us love to abstraction.

7. osageCo_flathead

osageCo_flathead New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey there, I am setting limblines and juglines. I prefer to fish with a rod and reel but I am saving up meat for a fish fry for my little league team that I coach...and yes it is perfectly legal and tons of people do it here. But I still have my ethics intact and never keep anything over 20 pouns and under 7 pounds flathead wise and I have never caught a channel that was too big to keep, a large one in these waters is 15 pound so I keep from about 10-3 pound range. I love running lines and catching the bait is half the fun. I have 14 hooks in the water at this moment. It's strange to me that someone has never heard of running trotlines, jugs, or limblines....its a time honored tradition here and I have been running them since my grandfather taught me how about 25 years ago...and when I got old enough I was setting lines in the little creek behind the house in waste deep water.

8. chuck99

chuck99 New Member

State:
    Georgia
    I agree with AwShuck, in other words, Different Strokes for Different Storkes, Slower Strokes for Older Folks, and I happen to be one of the older folks.

9. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Sounds u had a good time.

10. Rtpcat

Rtpcat New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Maybe it is a souther thing, when I grew up when somebody said we was going catfishing. The only question you asked after if you could go was it a pond or the river. If a pond you grabbed your rod, if the river you grabbed a lifejacket and asked if we was staying all night.

Like someone said different things in different areas I guess.

11. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i am with rt. i grew up running lines all night with my brothers and my dad. there is a lot of hard work that goes into it, but the pay off is enough fish to fry for the whole family. now that it is just me and my wife, i rarely use anything but rod and reel. but there will always be a place in my heart for running out a big line at night and finding a big ol' swamp monster on the end.

j.d.

12. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    naw not a souther thing.
    Here in Iowa we can have 15 hook trot lines and 5 bank lines. The limb line thing I'm not sure of. Dunno about jugs.