Did I screw up by getting the dual frequency model?

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by lothar, Mar 9, 2007.

1. lothar

lothar New Member

State:
    California
    Hi,

I'm new here and wanted to say you have a great site. I also wanted to ask a question about two Lowrance units. Looking around here the past few days it seems like most are saying to go with more power in a sonar unit. I was going to get a Lowrance 522c but noticed the 527c had more power and was dual freqency. I went ahead and got the 527c but then discovered the 200 khz cone angle is only 12 degrees instead of the standard 20 degree on the 522c model. Will this be hard to work with and if so, can I get a seperate 20 degree 200 khz transducer and use a switch to toggle between the two? I like the idea of having the wider cone of the 50 khz to track downrigger weights. Thanks for looking.

Rick

2. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Rick, I can't answer your lowrance question but I can welcome you to the BOC. Your ? will surely be answered shortly...:big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You never really learn to swear until you learn to drive.

3. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Your just going to have a narrower cone angle. No big deal really if you ask me. Yes you can buy another transducer thats just 200 if you want too. Just have to tell the fish finder what your running for a transducer in setup.

4. lothar

lothar New Member

State:
    California
    Thanks for the welcome and reply.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Welcome to the BOC, Rick! The 12 deg cone isn't that big a deal, especially if you're fishing in water over 35-40' deep. If it does become an issue, you can do what I did and purchase an additional single frequency transducer. I installed mine on the opposite site of the transom and it works great. I do a lot of drift fishing on the Santee Cooper lakes in water from shallow to about 65', and I just wanted a wider cone angle for that reason. You really don't need the low frequency in shallow waters; they are designed for deep water and for trolling downriggers. Just set it up to operate on the high frequency side. :smile2:

6. crusinman2002

crusinman2002 New Member

State:
    Mukwonago, Wisconsin
    i just read up on this in the book for my new fishfinder... i just got a humminbird 565 with the dual beam... it says that the narrow high freq. beam is used primarily for viewing bottom structure, and the wider low freq. beam is used for viewing fish... with the lower freq. the sound waves are spread apart more and the fishfinder can more accuratly pick out fish from structure... the high freq. beam has the soundwaves packed closer together as to quickly view the bottom and the structure, but it uses the low freq beam to model the structure and to find fish in the structure... i haven't been able to test this theory out yet, as i have only fished areas with muddy bottom and little structure... just figured i would thow in my 2 cents... specially since i sat down and read something... lol