Did I pick the wrong one

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by motodragon2003, Jul 9, 2008.

1. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I bought a tidewater reel at wal-mart and I am having the worst time with casting it.........granted its my first baitcasting style of reel, which could certainly be my problem.

It seems like I have to have an obsurd amount of weight on it or else I can't cast it at all.

I tried a 3 oz with a good size goldfish on there and I could only manage about 30-40 feet without feeling like it was going to backlash all to hell.

Its almost like this reel is for dragging bait behind a boat or something.....

I guess I'm looking for a bait runner/clicker style of reel but I'm so out of the loop I have no idea what I should be looking for......

any ideas?

2. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Josh, I do not have any experience with that particular reel, but I can tell you that ABU GARCIA makes an excellant reel for catfishing. There is a range of sizes that will fit well for whatever type of catfishin' you will be doing. Personnally I use the 6500C3, it seems to have a very broad range of uses from lobbing out those large live baits with 30-40# test to really zinging out those cutbaits with 12-20#. The prices are a little on the higher side, but with a little "TLC", they will last a LONG time! I hope this helps you! Good luck on the cat catchin'!:wink:

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
  4. motard1

motard1 New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    Ihave used both the tidewater and the arsenal. I love them both. My advice,practice first. I remember my first baitcaster. I made more birdnests than casts. Then I went to wal mart,bought the cheapest line,and headed to the park. I put on the weight I thought I would use most,and started casting,and adjusting,repeat,repeat. Thats how it worked for me. Now,I can cast all mine. But each one is different. best of luck

5. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    Josh, you might want to loosen the tension drag (little round cap on side/center of the reel) a little bit. If you get it too loose you better be good with your thumb. Mac

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Yep, too much tension. Here is the best way to set that up. Put on your "typical" fishing rig. Sinker weight is very important. Now hold that rig off of the ground with the rod parallel. Now loosen the tension until the rig begins to fall. You want to stop it at the first sign of movement. Now this is the best place for you to learn how to cast the reel. As you get more comfortable, you will be able to loosen it up a little and improve your cast distance.

7. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    i have a tidewater, but i use it for saltwater. it works good for large fish. i do not cast very far when i saltwater fish. i use the abu 6500 for catfishing and casting.

8. hookslinger

hookslinger Member Supporting Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Name:
    Tony
    I have a couple of tidewaters and have a heck of a time casting them. I'm been using casting reels for years. I may have found a fix, works good so far. Remove the spool adjusting cap, then remove the spring and slip a small piece of silcone tubing on the spool shaft. Cut it almost flush with the end of the shaft, leaving it just slightly longer than the shaft. Leaving the spring off tighten the cap until your weight just drops slowly to the floor. I used tubing like whats used as fuel line on radio control models, about a 1/16 dia.

9. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Josh ,as several have mentioned,I think it is just tensioned too tight,I usually loosen the tension knob till the spool just stops turning at the moment that the weight touches the ground ,then just loosen a tiny bit more . most of all keep practicing with it,trust me . You will improve.

10. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    what kind of rod are you useing, maybe you do not have the flex in the rod!

11. Dallison

Dallison Member

State:
    Virginia
    The spool should have a little play in it from side to side. I have two of these reels I bought for 35 bucks apiece at walmart. I used these to practice with before spending arms and legs for my Abu reels. I use a 7ft catfish ugly stick and can cast easily 50-75 yards with a 3oz weight. I use 30lb powerpro line. I think for a starter reel these work great.
    good luck

12. wneubauer

wneubauer New Member

State:
    McKinney, TX
    Rod, line weight, practice will all effect this process. If you want to try a different reel, you could check out Ebay for a Penn Squidder or Jigmaster, 2 of my favorite baitcasters. You will spend a bit more than 35.00 for a Jigmaster, and up to double for a Squidder. These are great casting reels. Maybe you would have more luck with one of these. Good Luck!!

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. good advise. and tidewaters are big. i had one but a 5500 or 6000 abu casts farther and are more compact. thats why i sold my penns and went with them for freshwater.

14. motodragon2003

motodragon2003 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I thought I did set the tension, maybe its just me. I have it on a 7 foot ugly stick. I draw back to cast and its like the spool isn't spinning fast enough to let line out at first....then the bait hits the water and god willing I'm thumbing it right...only had 2 nests so far.....

I'll have to keep practicing I guess...

I just want to make sure I can use these before I spend the money on some abu's...

15. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    yes tension too tight. tighter tension will make shorter casts but less backlashing and looser will make longer casts and possibly more backlashes. als some reels have a dial on the opposite side that controls magnetic brakes inside the reel but that is usually on low profile baitcasters.

16. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Josh to set any baitcaster reel your suppose to set the cast tension knob to where the weight and bait will just start to move or slip when you depress the cast button.

I have two of the tidewater reels. One is on a berkley big game rod 7.5 ft medium and the other is on a 7' ugly stick medium heavy.

I got them both spooled with braided line one is spooled with 80# test and the other 50# test. They cast just fine and far if I need. You just got to keep practicing and remember use your thumb. Also stop the cast with your thumb at or just before the bait hits the water will help some.

One other thing your spool should be full. At about 1/8th inch below the top edge of the spool. That's when a baitcasting reel works the best. Too full and you have alot of problems with it overspinning and backlashing and not full enough it won't cast as far as it should.

17. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack

I dont think so. At least you didnt spend a small fortune on a top-of-the-line baitcaster and then decide you didnt like it. Since it is your 1st baitcaster, stay persistant and keep practicing until you master it. You can always upgrade later

18. germanmudfish

germanmudfish New Member

State:
    Gray, GA
    I too have just started using the baitcast style reel and found the secret to be: 1) proper tension adjustment as described here already and 2)-infinity practice practice practice. First with just a weight, I used a 3oz until I could throw across three Georgia country backyards, then add fishing weight, hook, bait go to the water and get humbled about just how little you know about bait casting reels, but practice practice and practice. One thing that helped me a lot was 30# test line is easier to un nest than smaller line. Get it all figured out, respool with the line you are going to fish with and start again at a body of water. All the time you practice practice practice you play with the tension knob. Get to know this little guy, he is your friend and will help you practice practice practice. Unless you are a prodigy with a baitcaster, you have to practice practice practice. I drive a mile or two up the road to a small neighborhood pond and practice practice practice at least once a week when I am not fishing.:big_smile: One day I will get the hang of it. I will not be defeated. Catfish's Granddaddy had a saying that a craftsman can make do with the tools he has, practice.

19. LaBlueHunter

LaBlueHunter New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    my advise to you is take it back to walmart an get a abu 7000 tidewaters are not casting reels at all i played with um i still have 7-8 of um an they havent been used in prolly 7 years in my apinion there junk for casting any distance fishing out of a boat or running baits out with a rc boat there good for that but thats about it just my 2 cents

20. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    All very good info.